Weird partitioning with fresh Fedora install

I have a 1TB disk, which I just recently installed Fedora; I used the automatic formatting feature for disk partition.

But after installation, around 800GB of the space is not mounted.

Here is the output of the df command

➜  ~ df -h
Filesystem               Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/fedora-root   15G  6.8G  8.2G  46% /
devtmpfs                 4.0M     0  4.0M   0% /dev
tmpfs                     16G     0   16G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                    6.3G  2.1M  6.3G   1% /run
/dev/nvme0n1p2           960M  233M  728M  25% /boot
tmpfs                     16G   16K   16G   1% /tmp
tmpfs                    3.2G  144K  3.2G   1% /run/user/1000

Also, here is how the disk manager sees the mounted partitions.

Can someone explain what is happening here, I’m not sure I understand LVM partitioning.

It appears you installed in legacy boot (MBR) mode and the highlighted space would be the BIOS Boot partition as it says just below there.

The space is used as designed.

If you expected different you should have booted in uefi mode then it would not have created that partition and you would have 3 partitions – ESP, /boot, and the main root & home partition.

Since you seem to have chosen to use LVM and mounted the only LV created on / then you should read up on how to manage LVM. You would need to run some of the LVM commands to see exactly what the status is starting with sudo vgdisplay

I think there is one of the spins that does use LVM automatically, possibly server so it may be 100% normal. You should verify the spin you installed and let us know.

@computersavvy thank you. This is the default fedora server installation. I didn’t edit anything manually. But, indeed, I did install it through the legacy boot. I didn’t even know that there was a difference.

Do you have some recommendation resources for LVM? I want to set up this system for virtualization with libvirt.

You need to plan your partitiions. For libvirt its important to have a /var that is large enough for the VM images. Also how much /home do you need?

Or you could decide that you want everything in one partition.

I think you should redo the install using UEFI boot to make updating in the future easier. Turn off legacy boot in the bios, also called CSM, first.

If you decide on one large partition you can set that up when you install,
Or indeed any other partitioning scheme you design.

man lvm describes the commands available.