Used sysprof and found a problem

Thank you, guys, for promoting this article about performance profiler to the Fedora Magazine.

I did a little profiling and it’s so easy to inspect so many things. Using this approach I found that one of my kernels that’s a relatively default Fedora kernel forces me to mount a Network Share in the background for Sun Remote Procedure Calls (sunrpc) under /var/lib/nfs/sunrpc or something - without my knowledge. That also mounts something with hfs and hfsplus filesystems that I have no use or knowledge of to exist on my computer (it’s a Toshiba laptop).

I could not force remove the sunrpc module with rmmod -f sunrpc - it said something about resource being in use and being unavailable O.O

When I blacklisted sunrpc kernel module and rebooted, 1) the network share no longer shows as mounted, 2) hfs and hfsplus kernel modules no longer are loaded (as seen with lsmod). And everything seems a little snappier without exaggeration.

What is this drivel?

What kernel are you referring to as relatively default?

Kernels on fedora are purely default unless the user chooses to install a kernel that is not in the fedora repos or is running a distro other than pure fedora. In that case this may not be an appropriate forum to ask for assistance.

No fedora kernels would act as you describe.

comments like this are inappropriate

sunrpc and nfs are the old Sun network file system. Unless you have an active nfs server in your network, it wouldn’t do anything.

hfs and hfsplus are Apple file system, and, again, nothing would be mounted unless you actually have one of these file systems on one of your disk units.

Also, the user needs to actively enable these for them to do anything.

I only turned on some security features to harden the default kernel. So it should be the same kernel modules as the default kernel as it is related to the problem I describe.

It’s literally the same as the default kernel with a couple of security features turned on (like random kernel structure shuffling, confidentiality mode, etc).

Why would sunrpc module be then loaded at all even? As far as I am aware, the kernel doesn’t load anything that’s not used. Same with hfs and hfsplus, if it’s not required by anything why would it be loaded? I do not have anything hfs formatted at all on my system!

Since you fail to provide details it is impossible for anyone else to repeat and test what you claim to have done.

What security features?
How were they “turned on”?
Have you tried removing those features to see if that is the cause? or not?

Details are needed for us to even attempt to assist in more than a generic way.

I don’t think kernel is relevant here. Anyone can check if they have any nfs mounted entries in their /proc/mounts (lines that would have /var/lib/nfs/.... in the output of /proc/mounts ) without setting up any network file systems knowingly themselves.