Upgrade laptop hard drive

I have a 250 Giga ssd drive on my laptop where lives Fedora 39. I have a bigger drive and i want to move there. I have done this before in other situations copying an image of the smaller disk to a bigger disk and then with gparted i can use the extra space of the bigger disk. The only difference now is that drive is encrypted with luks and i wonder if this method will work in this case.
Any views?

Probably not.
Copying the existing partition structure would probably work, but the larger drive would have unused space and I don’t know wheter a luks partition can be altered. If gparted is able to do so then go for it and test the idea. You will have the older SSD to reinstall if things fail.

Worst case, create a backup of the data you wish to migrate then do a new clean install on the larger SSD and restore your saved data.

1 Like

you can enlarge an LVM volume without problem but gparted can’t do it. I would use cli tools or if you require GUI, you can use blivet-gui.
Make sure you do the operations from a Live-system and not live from actually system that you want to change.

1 Like

Migrating to new storage is more risky than normal operations due to increased I/O workloads and opportunities to click on the worong selection or mistype a command, so it is important to have good backups. New storage devices are sometimes defective or have firmware bugs, so I like to “smoke test” a new drive before installing it in a laptop. Do a S.M.A.R.T test and check the maker’s site for firmware updates.

It is very helpful to have either an external USB case that supports your (old and new) SSD’s or a desktop that supports them (may require an adapter). Note that there are 5 common interfaces for SSD’s, so be careful to match the adapter/case to the drive.

1 Like

After some trials end errors that made system not booting (i had an image of the old drive and the drive itself so no problems) i finally upgraded the to the bigger drive. Everything was done while system was running without using live-media. Deployed the second solution from here: Extend a LUKS encrypted partition to fill disk.
First i resized with gparted the partition /dev/sda3 (which contained the physical volume) to all available space then used command line tools like:
cryptsetup resize,pvresize,lvextend,resize2fs.
Also used blivet-gui and gnome disks to monitor my command line effects.
LVM tools worked perfectly and i am satisfied that i was not forced to do a fresh install (first install on this laptop was Fedora 30…)

1 Like