Updates have caused me grief

About a month ago, after updates, my mouse started behaving oddly. Specifically, when watching youtube videos on Firefox the mouse pointer disappears and does not reappear unless I move the pointer out of Firefox, then I get to see it again.

Another mouse problem is when I play Open TTD. When I right-click on the map, it’s supposed to allow me to move the map around. Instead, the map just jitters and does not move.

Both of the problems above disappear when I use X11 instead of Wayland.

Next, for the past few days, my bluetooth headphones stop working sporadically. If I try to reconnect or otherwise fix the problem, either a popup will claim “System IO error” or my system will hang.

I will then go to the menu a pick either restart or shut down. The system then pops up a confirmation window that only allows me to log out. Guess what? My log out does not work. My screen goes black and my system hangs. Another hard reset.

So I then try using the terminal. I type in “reboot” and press enter. For all the years I have been using Fedora, doing this reboots my machine. Now, it puts this on the screen:

Failed to set wall message, ignoring: Sending user’s quota exceeded
Failed to reboot system via logind: Sending user’s quota exceeded
Failed to open /run/initctl: Permission denied

After seeing this, my system usually hangs, but sometimes does not.

I am overwhelmed with these things. I would like my properly functioning system back.

System info:

Operating System: Fedora Linux 37
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.101.0
Qt Version: 5.15.7
Kernel Version: 6.0.13-300.fc37.x86_64 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX with Radeon Graphics
Memory: 30.8 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon Graphics
Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product Name: ROG Strix G713QE_G713QE
System Version: 1.0

GPU information:

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU 4 gig memory
Driver: version 525.60.11

Nothing like these problems have happened before. Any help offered is greatly appreciated. All these hard resets are bound to come back and bite.

Thanks!

In firefox in about:config please check and verify that the following items are being used.

gfx.webrender.all to true
media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled to true

An update a while back turned these off and created similar grief for me. Turn them both to true and then quit firefox and restart it. Sorry I can’t help with the bluetooth issue.

1 Like

I guess reboot requires sudo. It’s sort of an old-school method, but you could use Ctrl-Alt-F6 (or any VT number that doesn’t have a GUI running on it) followed by Ctrl-Alt-Del.

you may want to post and/or look at the logs when the reboot/shutdown issues are occurring.

Thanks fpr your advice. I did change these settings and unfortunately they made no difference.

Thanks again!

Peter