Update gnome-shell-extension-gsconnect package

Please, update gnome-shell-extension-gsconnect package with GNOME 45 support.

Please contact the developer to bring up the extention to Gnome 45.

By the way … you probably should just test what is available on a beta version and not making a lot of noise about missing apps. Everything needs time and resources to bring it up to date. If the resource is missing packages can also get orphan, this means without a maintainer they will sometimes disappear from a fedora repository.

No pressure. I just thought as a beta tester to let you know about these, so that we can fix them before the 39 stable release. Isn’t that the idea of beta testers?

Of course it is. Extensions are not in the responsibility of Fedora, they are made by the extensions developers so that is why I mentioned where you should give a info too.

GSConnect - GNOME Shell Extensions

No, they actually are responsibility of Fedora. You ofc can install extensons of GNOME Shell directly from extensions.gnome.org, but it is not recommended, except only for quick testings. For normal use the recommended way is to install them with package manager. Fedora and other distributions test and package them properly.

I linked this in my post: gnome-shell-extension-gsconnect - Fedora Packages

So Fedora already has gnome-shell-extension-gsconnect package, but it should be updated.

The package yes … but the application is in the hand of the developer I posted you the link … If you see there it is not ready for Gnome 45 yet.

The package yes … but the application is in the hand of the developer

Oh, I agree that :slight_smile:

But I linked to the MR (GNOME 45 port of Shell extension by retrixe · Pull Request #1679 · GSConnect/gnome-shell-extension-gsconnect · GitHub)
Unfortunately… Gsconnect release with gnome 45 support · Issue #1680 · GSConnect/gnome-shell-extension-gsconnect · GitHub

Since the extension in Fedora repositories, it does not work correctly, and an upstream merged pull request is available,
I suggest that you do one of these:

1. If you know how, submit a pull request at package’s dist-git repository to include that pull request as a patch.
  2. Or submit a bug to Fedora Bugzilla, using component gnome-shell-extension-gsconnect,
    describing the problem and linking to the pull request.
1 Like

In general, please do prefer bugzilla for anything Fedora package related. (Package maintainers get notifications from bugzilla and package maintainers are not required for monitor this platform here. So, posting here may not get the attention of the maintainer.) Bugzilla also integrates with the rest of the package life cycle, like bodhi and so on whereas discussion does not. Discussion is just that—discussion, it does not replace other specific community tools.

2 Likes