Trying to upgrade from Fedora Workstation 35 to 36 via Gnome Software. While downloading packages, I get an error Unable to upgrade, because it Cannot download package selinux-policy-36.8-1.fc36.noarch.rpm
For the Last error it showed the URL where the package should be found. I went there and I found selinux-policy-36.7-1. Note the X.7 rather the X.8 that Fedora 36 needs via Gnome Software.
Edit1: Found the package, selinux-policy-36.8-1.fc36.noarch.rpm. It is in the Updates Testing repository/development branch!
Edit2: I wanted to see the logs for Gnome Software but couldn’t find them so I decided to try the upgrade via command line so that I could view those logs. For some reason on the command line it tries to pull selinux-policy-38.7-1 instead of the one that Gnome Software tries to pull, and it successfully downloaded all packages and upgraded to Fedora 36 just fine.
I do not fully understand why different upgrade paths ask for different packages but I’m sure there are valid reasons for it.
Note that this post was heavily edited to remove irrelevant information!
One difference between the two is that they maintain their own/separate meta data (information about packages).
Here you can see recent selinux-policy package updates. v36.8-1is in
stable, and not in
updates-testing anymore for more than a week.
My guess is that your metadata was old.
Try to append a
--refresh to your dnf command. For Gnome Software, you can refresh metadata using the following command:
sudo pkcon refresh force -c -1
If you see a 404 error, that usually means that the mirror is out of sync,
dnf usually tries other mirrors before failing…
Note: As for upgrading, best method in my opinion is documented here: DNF System Upgrade :: Fedora Docs. Advantage is that you get to see some outputs of the process …
I also experienced the above error using the graphical installer. It would be desirable if users could upgrade their systems without opening a terminal and refreshing the metadata.
The graphical installer usually works; lots of people successfully upgrade using it. Me, a command line guy from back well before there were graphical interfaces, I use the command line for most everything, and in years of doing so, I’ve hit a nasty glitch once. Happens. In this particular case, I’d assume that you caught an edge condition on the gnome-software metadata. That isn’t an excuse, but perhaps an explanation.