Unable to suspend laptop

I am running Fedora on an ASUS G731-GT Laptop, I have been experiencing this issue since F39, I upgraded to F40 and the issue persists. I have an Intel Integrated+Discrete Nvidia 1650 GPU. I use Xorg exclusively. I use Envycontrol to switch between Integrated only and Discrete only mode. I am facing the issue in both modes so I am skeptical if this is a GPU-related issue. So I tried the 6.6 LTS kernel instead of 6.8 but the issue persists. I am not able to see any suspension related logs in journalctl -p 3 -xb but here is the dump anyways:

May 09 11:50:55 sus kernel: x86/cpu: SGX disabled by BIOS.
May 09 11:50:55 sus kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [\_GPE._E4A], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20230628/dswload2-327)
May 09 11:50:55 sus kernel: ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20230628/psobject-220)
May 09 11:50:55 sus systemd[1]: bpf-lsm: Failed to load BPF object: No such process
May 09 11:51:05 sus systemd[1]: bpf-lsm: Failed to load BPF object: No such process
May 09 11:51:05 sus (udev-worker)[1197]: event12: Failed to call EVIOCSKEYCODE with scan code 0xff31007c, and key code 190: Invalid argument
May 09 11:51:05 sus (udev-worker)[1197]: event12: Failed to call EVIOCSKEYCODE with scan code 0xff3100c4, and key code 104: Invalid argument
May 09 11:51:05 sus (udev-worker)[1197]: event12: Failed to call EVIOCSKEYCODE with scan code 0xff3100c5, and key code 109: Invalid argument
May 09 11:51:05 sus (udev-worker)[1218]: event11: Failed to call EVIOCSKEYCODE with scan code 0xff31007c, and key code 190: Invalid argument
May 09 11:51:05 sus (udev-worker)[1218]: event11: Failed to call EVIOCSKEYCODE with scan code 0xff3100c4, and key code 104: Invalid argument
May 09 11:51:05 sus (udev-worker)[1218]: event11: Failed to call EVIOCSKEYCODE with scan code 0xff3100c5, and key code 109: Invalid argument
May 09 11:51:06 sus systemd[1]: Failed to start le9uo.service - Enable le9uo lv4 preset as service.
β–‘β–‘ Subject: A start job for unit le9uo.service has failed
β–‘β–‘ Defined-By: systemd
β–‘β–‘ Support: https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ A start job for unit le9uo.service has finished with a failure.
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ The job identifier is 397 and the job result is failed.
May 09 11:51:07 sus kernel: 
May 09 11:51:07 sus systemd[1861]: Failed to start psd.service - Profile-sync-daemon.
β–‘β–‘ Subject: A start job for unit UNIT has failed
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ A start job for unit UNIT has finished with a failure.
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ The job identifier is 22 and the job result is failed.
May 09 11:51:07 sus kernel: NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  550.78  Sun Apr 14 06:35:45 UTC 2024
May 09 11:51:08 sus /usr/bin/nvidia-powerd[1580]: SBIOS support not found for NVPCF GET_SUPPORTED function
May 09 11:51:08 sus /usr/bin/nvidia-powerd[1580]: No matching GPU found
May 09 11:51:08 sus /usr/bin/nvidia-powerd[1580]: Failed to initialize Dynamic Boost
May 09 11:51:08 sus /usr/bin/nvidia-powerd[1580]: Failed to detach GPU id 256
May 09 11:51:08 sus /usr/bin/nvidia-powerd[1580]: Failed to initialize Dynamic Boost
May 09 11:51:08 sus /usr/bin/nvidia-powerd[1580]: Failed to detach GPU id 256
May 09 11:51:08 sus /usr/bin/nvidia-powerd[2045]: SBIOS support not found for NVPCF GET_SUPPORTED function
May 09 11:51:08 sus /usr/bin/nvidia-powerd[2045]: No matching GPU found
May 09 11:51:08 sus /usr/bin/nvidia-powerd[2045]: Failed to initialize Dynamic Boost
May 09 11:51:08 sus /usr/bin/nvidia-powerd[2045]: Failed to detach GPU id 256
May 09 11:51:08 sus /usr/bin/nvidia-powerd[2045]: Failed to initialize Dynamic Boost
May 09 11:51:08 sus /usr/bin/nvidia-powerd[2045]: Failed to detach GPU id 256
May 09 11:51:09 sus dbus-broker-launch[5404]: Ignoring duplicate name 'org.gnome.ArchiveManager1' in service file '/usr/share//dbus-1/services/org.gnome.ArchiveManager1.service'
β–‘β–‘ Subject: Invalid service file
β–‘β–‘ Defined-By: dbus-broker
β–‘β–‘ Support: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/bus1-devel
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ A service file is a ini-type configuration file.
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ It has one required section
β–‘β–‘ named [D-BUS Service]. The section contains the required key 'Name', which
β–‘β–‘ must be a valid D-Bus name that is unique across all service files. It also
β–‘β–‘ contains at least one of the two optional keys 'SystemdService' and 'Exec',
β–‘β–‘ as well as optionally the key 'User'. Exec must be a valid shell command and
β–‘β–‘ User must be a valid user on the system.
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ A service file should be named after the D-Bus name it configures. That is
β–‘β–‘ a file containing Name=org.foo.bar1 should be named org.foo.bar1.service.
β–‘β–‘ For backwards compatibility, we only warn when files do not follow this
β–‘β–‘ convention when run as a user bus. The system bus considers this an error
β–‘β–‘ and ignores the service file.
May 09 11:51:09 sus dbus-broker-launch[5404]: Ignoring duplicate name 'org.gnome.FileRoller' in service file '/usr/share//dbus-1/services/org.gnome.FileRoller.service'
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ named [D-BUS Service]. The section contains the required key 'Name', which
β–‘β–‘ must be a valid D-Bus name that is unique across all service files. It also
β–‘β–‘ contains at least one of the two optional keys 'SystemdService' and 'Exec',
β–‘β–‘ as well as optionally the key 'User'. Exec must be a valid shell command and
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ A service file should be named after the D-Bus name it configures. That is
β–‘β–‘ a file containing Name=org.foo.bar1 should be named org.foo.bar1.service.
β–‘β–‘ convention when run as a user bus. The system bus considers this an error
May 09 11:51:10 sus dbus-broker-launch[5879]: Ignoring duplicate name 'org.gnome.ArchiveManager1' in service file '/usr/share//dbus-1/services/org.gnome.ArchiveManager1.service'
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
May 09 11:51:10 sus dbus-broker-launch[5879]: Ignoring duplicate name 'org.gnome.FileRoller' in service file '/usr/share//dbus-1/services/org.gnome.FileRoller.service'
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
May 09 11:51:10 sus bluetoothd[1482]: src/gatt-database.c:database_add_chrc() Failed to create characteristic entry in database
May 09 11:51:10 sus bluetoothd[1482]: src/gatt-database.c:database_add_service() Failed to add characteristic
May 09 11:51:10 sus bluetoothd[1482]: src/gatt-database.c:database_add_app() Failed to add service
May 09 11:51:10 sus bluetoothd[1482]: src/gatt-database.c:client_ready_cb() Failed to create GATT service entry in local database
May 09 11:51:18 sus gdm-password][9249]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
May 09 11:51:19 sus dbus-broker-launch[19208]: Ignoring duplicate name 'org.gnome.ArchiveManager1' in service file '/usr/share//dbus-1/services/org.gnome.ArchiveManager1.service'
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
May 09 11:51:19 sus dbus-broker-launch[19208]: Ignoring duplicate name 'org.gnome.FileRoller' in service file '/usr/share//dbus-1/services/org.gnome.FileRoller.service'
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
May 09 11:51:19 sus dbus-broker-launch[19208]: Ignoring duplicate name 'org.gnome.Shell.Extensions.GSConnect' in service file '/usr/share//dbus-1/services/org.gnome.Shell.Extensions.GSConnect.service'
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
May 09 11:51:19 sus systemd[17616]: Failed to start app-gnome-gnome\x2dkeyring\x2dpkcs11-21074.scope - Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ The job identifier is 141 and the job result is failed.
May 09 11:51:20 sus systemd[17616]: Failed to start app-gnome-nvidia\x2dsettings\x2duser-21597.scope - Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ The job identifier is 296 and the job result is failed.
May 09 11:51:21 sus bluetoothd[1482]: src/gatt-database.c:database_add_chrc() Failed to create characteristic entry in database
May 09 11:51:21 sus bluetoothd[1482]: src/gatt-database.c:database_add_service() Failed to add characteristic
May 09 11:51:21 sus bluetoothd[1482]: src/gatt-database.c:database_add_app() Failed to add service
May 09 11:51:21 sus bluetoothd[1482]: src/gatt-database.c:client_ready_cb() Failed to create GATT service entry in local database
May 09 11:51:23 sus dbus-broker-launch[19208]: Ignoring duplicate name 'org.gnome.ArchiveManager1' in service file '/usr/share//dbus-1/services/org.gnome.ArchiveManager1.service'
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
May 09 11:51:23 sus dbus-broker-launch[19208]: Ignoring duplicate name 'org.gnome.FileRoller' in service file '/usr/share//dbus-1/services/org.gnome.FileRoller.service'
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
May 09 11:51:23 sus dbus-broker-launch[19208]: Ignoring duplicate name 'org.gnome.Shell.Extensions.GSConnect' in service file '/usr/share//dbus-1/services/org.gnome.Shell.Extensions.GSConnect.service'
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ 

I have been tolerating this issue for a month or so, hoping some update to the upstream package may fix it, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon, so I would really appreciate it if a community member could help me get into the weeds of this issue. Please feel free to ask for any additional logs.

Thank You.

You expect the developers to fix some issue they may not have any knowledge of?
Most users who are having specific issues seem to file bug reports about that issue.
Doing so informs the developers there actually is an issue, tells others the issue exists so they may add information if they are also affected, and overall may lead to a quick resolution.

Keeping it to yourself does none of that.

That snippet from the logs clearly tells you there are errors in the .service files so that is what should be reported.

I suspect it’s something wtih ACPI and handling power states between one or both GPUs.

I’ve had a Skylake GTX 1060 laptop and if I was doing that today I would only go with reverse PRIME or whatever method NVIDIA officially promotes to only use the NVIDIA GPU. I’ve heard of oddities with Bumblebee and other scripts that tried to handle GPU switching, and figure GPU switching without a hardware mux on Linux is only worthwhile if it just-works perfectly, or if you feel like debugging ACPI tables or acpi_osi names to make it work perfectly. Even if you get the GPU switch down, you still have the internal screen and ports wired to potentially different GPUs, bandwidth sharing over PCI-E, and vsync to deal with. Forcing everything to one or the other GPU and rebooting is much easier and fool-proof :stuck_out_tongue:

I never heard of Envycontrol but I suspect it’s another tool like Bumblebee, also with it’s own share of issues with improper ACPI.

As for my suggestion, get rid of Envycontrol and anything else software-wise for managing dual graphics, make sure NVIDIA’s driver is installed nothing-fancy from RPM Fusion, and follow the guide they have for the Prime Xorg conf method, along with making sure Xorg is forced (I think it’s fine just to select a DE from the log-in but GDM can also be forced full-Xorg from custom.conf)

If the 1650 is supported by NVIDIA’s D3 power support thing (I think Turing?), go for it!

Unless you absolutely need the (minimal) power saving of using the intel iGPU I would suggest following the instructions here and use only the nvidia dGPU. This procedure also enabled the nvidia dGPU to manage the laptop screen as well as any external monitors.
The only caveat is that doing so requires that you use the xorg DE and not wayland. I have run my laptop that way for several years and when only on battery I still get well over 3 hours of continuous use.

Fixed Upstream with NVIDIA 555.42.02 BETA Driver :wink:

Fixed a bug that could cause the display to lock up when suspending on a kernel with CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_DEFERRED_TAKEOVER enabled with nvidia-drm loaded with modeset=1 and fbdev=1.

1 Like