Unable to Completely Uninstall Brave Browser

Hi. Looking for help how to completely remove all instances of Brave browser from Fedora 33. I was able to uninstall brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com but there is still another instance of the browser showing up in Software. When I click on the brave browser icon in Software it surprisingly starts as if I never uninstalled it. When I right click on the Brave browser icon for Show Detail, Software opens up and presents a window saying “Sorry! There are not details for that application.”

So, what is going on? I just want to remove all instances of it and reinstall so I only have one version. Please help. I am new to Fedora and in the beginnnig phases of learning Linux (which I am loving but sometimes get frustrated with stuff like this.)

I do not use Gnome Software, but it might be useful to give us an output for these 2 commands typed into terminal:

rpm -qa *brave*
flatpak list
1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

I ran those terminal commands. The flatpack command returned:

Name Application ID Version Branch Installation
Fedora Platform ….fedoraproject.Platform 33 f33 system
GNU Image Manipulation P… org.gimp.GIMP 2.10.22 stable system

Since Brave did not show up, I tried running the same command but with snap instead of flak. This returned an entry with Brave:
brave 1.17.75 88 latest/stable brave -
code 940b5f4b 51 latest/stable vscode✓ classic
core 16-2.48 10444 latest/stable canonical✓ core
core18 20200929 1932 latest/stable canonical✓ base
core20 20201027 875 latest/stable canonical✓ base
gnome-3-28-1804 3.28.0-19-g98f9e67.98f9e67 145 latest/stable canonical✓ -
gtk-common-themes 0.1-50-gf7627e4 1514 latest/stable canonical✓ -
nmap 7.91 2061 latest/stable maxiberta -
snapd 2.48.1 10492 latest/stable canonical✓ snapd

Since my original post the situation has gotten a little better after several updates/updates to the system but I suspect something still is not right.

For example, the two instances of Brave do not show up now when I select Show Applications, however, when I double click on the Brave browser icon in the dock on the left, Brave launches but adds another Brave icon at the bottom of the dock with a white dot underneath indicating that instance is running. The other Brave icon in the dock which I double click to launch the app does not have a dot underneath indicating it is running. This is odd. It makes me suspicious there are still two instances of the application installed somewhere in Fedora.

Do you have any other advice? Thanks for the reply and help.

Oh, ok… so you have snap as well. Is there particular reason to use Brave from Snap instead of official RPM package provided by Brave?

https://brave.com/linux/#linux

The same applies to vscode (provided by MS) and nmap (available in official Fedora repos), which I can notice you also have installed from snap although official packages are available.

You mean the behavior on dash-to-dock Gnome shell extension? It is maybe connected with snap Gnome integration, but you can easily check with Gnome System monitor which processes are running or by using ps/top/htop. In example:

ps aux | grep -i brave
2 Likes

Your advice and tips was key for me to remove all instances of Brave. I forget exactly what I did but I seem to recall it was something I read elsewhere combined with information you provided. At this moment, I think all instances of Brave are removed. Thank you.

In retrospect I know I followed the install instructions via the link you noted in your reply. Prior to that I likely found some bad advice on the internet in which I somehow installed Brave via Snap. The combination of both installations of Brave created all the problems I noted earlier in the thread. (Lesson learned)

It is important to note at some point while I was waiting for replies to my question, there was an update to Fedora 33 (and the kernel) in which some of the issues got better but were not completely fixed.

Glad you pointed out my incorrect install of MS Visual Code. I am going to try to remove and use the specific Fedora instructions I found here: Running Visual Studio Code on Linux for Fedora.

The lesson learned for me and for others who read this thread is to try to stick with only the fully supported package libraries for the Linux distro you are using. If it is not fully supported by Fedora in this instance then it is a big risk to try to install otherwise.

Again, thank you very much for your help. This has been a great first touch point for me with the Fedora community!

1 Like