Two windows entry in grub #Silverblue

Hi,
I’ve just noticed that on grub I’ve two different entries for my one windows installation on grub. One is indicated ad windows (/dev/sda1), the other as windows (nvme…). Now the nvme is the correct one because windows have is own drive with is own EFI partition, on /dev/sda there is no windows installation. That being said both works and start correctly is more of a OCD issue, but well, it’s possible to solve it?

Thanks

There should be just one ESP (EFI System Partition), containing both Windows and Fedora startup files. If you have two, then perhaps that’s the reason why it thinks you have 2 installations of Windows - it doesn’t consider your second ESP as ESP.

I’d say just leave it be. It’s better to have bootloader working than tinker with it and risk breaking it now or with some future update.

But if you really insist, you can edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom to add your custom Windows entry (copy the configuration from one of the existing entries). Regenerate grub config with

sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /etc/grub2.cfg

If the new entry shows up and works fine, then you can disable OS autodetection by adjusting /etc/default/grub and setting GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="true". Then regenerate grub config again, and the auto-generated Windows entries should disappear (and your custom one should still be there).

1 Like

thanks for the answer, I prefer to have two separate EFI and that’s never was an issue with grub+osprober in other distro. But that being said is not a problem to have both; I agree with you that probably is better to leave them be and just have both of theme instead of thinker with grub and brake something.