Troubleshoot poor wifi performance

I believe this must be a driver issue. Have a dual-boot laptop with Win 11 and Fedora 39 workstation on it. Using speedtest.net (several times on different days) I get 95% of my ISP’s promised 500 mbps or about 480 mbps. Boot into Fedora, repeat, and I get 35 mbps instead. Oddly enough upload speed is about the 30 mbps I’m supposed to have on both OS-es.

I have uploaded hardware probe results, don’t know if that helps, but if so they are here: HW probe of HUAWEI KLVC-WXX9 #cd7c131bf1

Wi-fi connects quickly and is stable, it’s just really slow.

BTW I tagged this with ‘intel-wifi-card’ but I don’t actually know if that is what I have (it seems to be what it detects though, but maybe that could be the issue?).

can you run lspci and confirm what your wifi card/chipset are?

hardware probe is showing

PCI 	8086:02f0:8086:2034 »
/ 02-80-00 	Intel Corporation 	Comet Lake PCH-LP CNVi WiFi 	network 	iwlwifi

See also Intel Comet Lake PCH-LP CNVi WiFi driver: N/A - #7 by john2fx

00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH-LP CNVi WiFi

I believe this is the relevant line from the output. Looking at the link you provided now, hopefully I can understand some of it… :slight_smile:

EDIT: and forgot to say, thank you! It’s amazing that people like you are voluenteering to help.

Having looked at the thread you linked, I didn’t understand very much, but I thought maybe try a cold reboot, just in case. Turned the machine fully off (it is normally connected to my TV and used with a Logitech K400 with touchpad as my “remote control”, so I normally never turn it off, just hibernate and choose “restart” if I want to switch OS).

Decided to boot into Windows first to do another speed test. Got 520 mbps. Then shut completely off again, and booted Fedora. And found wi-fi no longer working at all! In settings it showed flight mode ON, turned that off, but still nothing. Turned off BlueTooth (for no good reason, but I don’t need it, and if it could interfere, I’d be happy to just leave it permanently off), and then settings again showed flight mode on - I guess it just reflects the fact that no radios are active. Looked at Wireless in Settings, and it said no card was detected and could I please make sure my “card” was “plugged in” (I believe my “card” is integrated in my CPU chip, but it makes sense in a certain way, I guess).

Then I shut down again, full off. And turned on. I haven’t really studied the many choices in the GRUB menu, but now noticed that they seem to correspond to “restore points” for different kernel versions or something like that…? I think two of them were 6.6.something and one 6.5.something. Tried booting the oldest one, and after taking unusually long to get the login screen, I am back online, and not only that, speedtest now measured as 507 mbps, so basically well within the margins of normal variance vis-a-vis the measurement I took a few minutes earlier in Windows.

I will now attempt a warm boot choosing the default GRUB option (or find the highest kernel version if the default has changed), do another speed test if still online, and then a cold boot into the newest kernel version. If I am online then too, I will report my findings here. If not, I think I need to think about something else for a little while.

I am very keenly aware that it is not the fault of the creators of Linux that a gazillion hardware configurations are not as well supported as they are on Windows. At the same time, I also can understand that many vendors do not see all that much point in putting much resources into an OS that has 3% of the desktop market (and, it seems, many of them quite willing to research endlessly what hardware to get in order that it works well with Linux - I incorrectly assumed the state of these things had moved much further along than they have, and imagined I could get any reasonably popular machine and everything would just be swell).

But at the same time, I feel like stating the perhaps obvious: If ordinary users are supposed to run terminal commands and read technical threads about the interplay between UEFI, firmware, drivers and operating system kernels just to get netflix to work as well as it does on Windows, I fear 97% will continue to choose the spyware OS. I know I will, if my experience with Linux does not improve. I spend my days programming (line of business software, I don’t know much more about drivers than what it conceptually is), but even I am starting to think Linux is far too technically demanding for me to justify. All I want to do is a little programming, and a lot of youtube, netflix, spotify sort of use. I don’t game. If it is too hard for me, I don’t know how many it can be recommended for, to be perfectly blunt.

Again, it isn’t the Linux community’s fault, but it is unfortunately everyone’s problem, given how downright evil big tech has become.

FWIW: I forgot to do the warm boot I intended to, but have now done another cold boot. GRUB shows “Fedora Linux (6.6.4-200” and that it’s 39 on x86_64. Based on my misapprehension of that other thread I expected to again find myself with no wifi, but it’s working. Speedtest gave me 474, so likely working as well as it was a few minutes ago, after I had booted 6.5.12-300 (I had the bright idea to photograph my grub menu this time, so I could state the kernel versions).

Another impression I got from that other thread was that the OP also had switched back to an earlier kernel version, then come back to the newest, and after that things were well. Which seemed to baffle the OP and the person helping out. And yet it seems I can now corraborate this evidence with my experience.

So for now at least, it seems I am ok. If it stays ok I might soon be back to try to find out if getting HDR to work (on the external “monitor”, my 85" Sony TV!) is possible, but I have tried the same on Windows for a long time with no success.

Also, not knowing anything about how firmware stuff works, I thought I would also mention that I used Huawei PC Manager to install the recommended drivers on Windows. They don’t make a version for Linux, alas. But the interesting thing: In that app it is possible to tweak battery charging. Since my machine is normally permanently connected, I’ve set it to maintain the battery at 60% instead of the default kill-it-as-fast-as-possible behaviour of charging to 100% and keep it there. Much to my suprise I have noticed that this somehow worked in Linux as well. Then I thought well I guess it’s firmware, so I guess that’s shared by all OS-es on a machine. But now it struck me that maybe this is relevant for the wifi speed issue I had - that Huawei has some modified firmware that is not exactly the same as Intel’s, and maybe doesn’t combine well with the Linux driver. I should perhaps not speculate, because I understand very little of what I’m trying to talk about here, but thought I’d mention it just in case.

Thank you for helping out, I hope my wifi remains fast! :smiley: