Topics for a talk on OCI-based Linux distros?

Hey all,

Where I work we host a fortnightly session we call “Safaris” in which we explore various topics; and since I’ve been the only one running an OCI-based distro I would really like to host one on the current state of Atomic and other OCI-based distros.

So far I have:

• Explaining the high-level concepts of ostree
  • Sprinting through some Docker fundamentals (more of a refresher than new information)
  • Why you’d want to use it, and why you should use it
  • Anticipating the “why not NixOS” question
  • Running through the various Atomic distros, the various UBlue variants & SUSE’s MicroOS (I’m not aware of any others)
  • My day-to-day workflow, how I manage my containerfiles, my own OS image fork etc
  • And then open it up to questions

Is there anything that Atomic users wish they knew before they started? Or think it would be good to run through? The demographic is technical people, most if not all Linux users; so the only limitation is time (limited to around 45m-1h with some Q&A after, no hard limit)

This talk would also be made available after the fact, so when it is I’ll publish it back here :smile:

(also apologies if this is the wrong place to post)

3 Likes

Hey @elken :wave: ,
did you give this talk ?
I would love to give such a talk as well, and I would love to see how you presented the topics that you mentioned.
I would appreciate it if you could post a recording link that I could use as a starting point.

Hey!

I gave a lightning version of it internally that wasn’t aired and as I was finally in the process of doing the live one I was unfortunately made redundant :frowning:

I do definitely want to still do it though! Thanks for your interest and watch this space :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, I understand.
Could might tell me shortly how you deal with the “why not NixOS” question.
I am a total beginner and I still don’t really get it.

Well the short answer is you get the same benefits with none of the Nix complexity or lock-in :slight_smile:

You don’t have to learn an ugly programming language or understand derivations, flakes, generations, etc; you just have deployments and Containerfiles.

And as for lock-in, it’s all just Containerfiles so if you want to move to say VanillaOS or whatever SUSE’s version is called, you can no problem. Or even just move all the shell commands out into a script to run on any distro.

1 Like

Would you happen to have a link to it if it was recorded? Myself and some other Fedora people are giving a talk on Atomic desktops at SCaLE this year and have been working through many of the same kinds of brainstorming as we’ve been writing our talk.

Wish I caught this sooner! I would love to listen to this talk! I think the points you wanted to explore, especially the “why not NixOS” question, make a great outline.

If you ever want to write this out for the Fedora Magazine I think that would be a great article.

Sure, I’ll see about doing a written version :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It wasn’t, it was just a quick throwaway talk at the company’s Christmas party but I have the slides and the org-mode file :slight_smile:

2 Likes