Tiling manager on Silverblue

Hi,

I was just wanted to ask if there is any tiling manager available for Silverblue? I would like to try one, ideally some that is more user friendly without the need to remember bundle of shortcuts to use it.

I didn’t tried any yet, but I like the idea.

1 Like

I would like to try one, ideally some that is more user friendly without the need to remember bundle of shortcuts to use it.

That’s generally what tiling managers are. The Linux community may make you think you need a tiling WM to be efficient or productive, but that is just silly. They can be awesome (pun intended), but not for everyone. Part of the amazingness of open source is all this choice we get.

On that note, I think you have two good places to start:

First is i3 or Sway. Sway is my favorite because of wayland, but they are both awesome and relatively easy to use.

However, I think you may be most interested in something like Pop Shell. It makes tiling on the GNOME desktop easy, and can be installed with rpm-ostree install gnome-shell-extension-pop-shell.noarch. The biggest downside is that it is Xorg only, but it’s still pretty neat!

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I will probably try Sway, just to see how it works. Just one additional question, is there a way to obtain tiling manager without layering a new bunch of packages?

No. Tiling managers usually only need a few dependencies, however, so they aren’t too bad.

1 Like