ThinkPad Z13 (13” AMD) Laptop and Fedora?

I am interested in ThinkPad Z13 (13” AMD) Laptop, the compact sized laptop to run Fedora.

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 or 5 (6860Z, 6850U, 6650U)
  • Battery: Up to 18.3 hours, 51.5Wh
  • Dimensions (H x W x D): 13.99mm x 295mm x 200mm / .55″ x 11.59″ x 7.86″

This video says that the battery life was over 11 hours.

If you buy it and run Fedora Linux in it, let me know how it works on this thread. Thanks!

Note I created a similar thread: https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/thinkpad-x1-nano-and-fedora/25190. But actually, I am more interested in this laptop with AMD than the X1 Nano with Intel CPU.

I just found some sad news. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktHQISNl9Ic

A buyer of the recently released Lenovo Thinkpad Z13 noticed a problem, it couldn’t boot linux, it turns out that it’s not just as simple as Microsoft bad there’s actually a reason behind this.

But it seems that some people are working to run Linux on it.
Z13 & First impressions as a Linux user - Reddit - Dive into anything

1 Like

If you watched that video you should know that is hype and not fact.

2 Likes

I am sorry that I just watched the video above a little bit.

By the way, I found a good thread on Lenovo’s community forum on this topic. And I suggested Fedora Linux on Z13 at Re: Who wants AMD? - Lenovo forum.

I found one person reporting Fedora on Z13. - https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/w02f39/thinkpad_z13_impressions/

1 Like

Lenovo plans to support Fedora Linux on Z13! I was told it on Reddit thinkpad forum.

Lenovo also mentioned it recently on the Nest with Fedora 2022 - “Lenovo & Fedora 2022” (August 5, Day 2) - 17:10 (it seems that you can watch if you registered the event in advance).

Here is the citation from the video.

I think actually it was 2 years ago. The big feedback from the Fedora community was more AMD. So, you got more AMD. […snip…] The Z series, which I am really enthusiastic about. We have the Z13 and the Z16. Just literally going through the final test with Fedora on those, and it’s looking good. And quick notes, thank you to the release team and Ben Williams for basically doing us the Fedora respin image, so that we can put that into our test team. […snip…] We have one last card reader BIOS-related problem that happened last week. […snip…] I am hoping we will be signing off soon.

1 Like

Lenovo also mentioned it recently on the Nest with Fedora 2022 - “Lenovo & Fedora 2022” (August 5, Day 2) - 17:10 (it seems that you can watch if you registered the event in advance).

FYI: Here are the slides. The recording will also be available on Fedora Project’s Youtube channel within a couple of months.

1 Like

Did you get yourself a Z13 yet…?

1 Like

Unfortunately no. I wanted to touch Z13 in a local shop before buying it. But I couldn’t find a shop that Z13 here in the Czech Republic. I feel that the Czech Republic is just ignored as a market for high-end Lenovo laptops. So, now I don’t have the plan to buy it anymore.

I wouldn’t know of an address here in the Netherlands on the top of my head either, perhaps Mark Pearson (from Lenovo) could help us with that, but is he an (un)regular here…?

If only there’d be a shop having them on (touchable) display or beter even, for rent for a few days!

Oh, you cannot find a shop to touch Z13 even in the Netherlands? Hmm…