The machine doesn't wake up from suspend mode when an external monitor is connected

I recently ran into a frustrating issue with my Fedora laptop that I use with an extra monitor, after updating both NVIDIA drivers and the kernel.
Whenever I try to resume work after the laptop goes into suspend mode, I’m met with a black screen, as the laptop is not walking up although it’s working.

Oddly, This happens only when the laptop is connected to the monitor but when I disconnect my external monitor, the laptop wakes up just fine. But when reconnecting the monitor it seems the laptop does not recognize the monitor, forcing me to restart the laptop every time it goes into suspend mode. It’s not the smoothest workflow, I must say.

This happened after I updated the Nvidia drivers, I’ve tried to troubleshoot by downgrading the NVIDIA drivers from the current version which is “nvidia-kmod-550.76-1.fc39.src.rpm” to “nvidia-kmod-550.67-1.fc39.src.rpm” by sudo dnf downgrade akmod-nvidia, but no luck there. It seems I can’t quite roll back to the previous version (“nvidia-kmod-550.67”). Could this be a hiccup from the recent kernel updates or something to do with the NVIDIA drivers?

For further debugging this is the overview info output of inxi -Fzxx:

System Information:
Kernel version: 6.8.7-200.fc39.x86_64
Architecture: x86_64
Desktop environment: GNOME 45.5
Distribution: Fedora Linux 39 (Workstation Edition)

Machine Information:
Type: Laptop (ASUSTeK ROG Strix G614JU_G614JU)

CPU Information:
14-core Intel Core i7-13650HX (13th Gen) processor
Graphics Processor: Integrated Intel Raptor Lake-S UHD Graphics

Graphics Information:
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4050 Max-Q / Mobile GPU alongside Intel integrated graphics
Display server: Wayland (X.org) with GNOME Shell

Thanks in advance for your help!

The latest kernel and Nvidia updates have successfully resolved the issue.

1 Like