The future of real-time (chat) discussion for the Fedora council

This is super important! Glad to see this is included in the grand plan. :tada:

1 Like

Not-quite-an-update: we have progress with the finance side. Hopefully a real update will come soon.

3 Likes

Looking forward to it! :smiley:

Would using a preexisting matrix account work or shall we use a new one based on fasid?

We’ll participate in federation so you will be able to use an external identity. Using your Fedora Account might connect you to badges, groups, or other features, though – TBD.

2 Likes

Anyhow I am very excited by this change, I’m no stranger to IRC, but with Matrix at least I can see what have been said in my absence without a setting up a bouncer.

For weechat I use, GitHub - poljar/weechat-matrix: Weechat Matrix protocol script written in python

But nowadays I only keep Element around.

2 Likes

Yeah, I hope we can have a way to reuse our personal accounts for badges/groups/etc.

Besides the fact that I am not thrilled seeing the current trend of centralizing everything on EMS as Mozilla, KDE and Gnome are also using EMS, it would also be a problem to juggle between 3 or 4 accounts for people who are part of multiple communities (and expensive if each community pay for a account for the same exact service).

1 Like

It’s not really the exact same service, as we’re paying for administration and hosting – resources used.

1 Like

FWIW you can use your freenode registered nick in matrix. I’ve followed this guide and now I can use zodbot commands with my matrix user.

1 Like

I filed an issue for this a while back, maybe there will be some more movement on it in the near future?

1 Like

On a different note, in some ways I think it might be good that we haven’t launched this yet, because I think we will really benefit from the “Spaces” feature

and maybe we can launch with that now.

3 Likes

The “beta” spaces is scheduled to launch on May 17th, on stable channel

3 Likes

That sounds just perfect — I’d love for ours to launch with that.

2 Likes

Sorry for the expectation, but they did not release the beta feature on the stable channel. but have in staging channel. here:

1 Like

I volunteered us to start on the staging channel. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

A blog post of Element team

4 Likes

We could run the Fedora Social Hour to try it out!

1 Like

Check it out in action! (will look like a normal room if you don’t have the Spaces beta enabled)

Looks slick I can’t wait for this to hit stable.

Also, is it time to start deprecating Freenode?

https://kline.sh

4 Likes

We’re probably going to migrate existing IRC channels to Libera Chat. A lot of people are not ready for Matrix-only world yet.

3 Likes

Cool…

BTW, Need to add all room what stay in the flair.

+fedoraproject:matrix.org
+fedora:matrix.org