The battery drains quickly when the computer is suspended

The issue is exactly what is described in the title. I tried searching the forum but couldn’t find anything that applies to my situation. For example, I’ve read that it may depend on a BIOS setting, but I haven’t found any settings that reference ‘battery’ or ‘suspend’.

1 Like

Aggiunto f39, gnome, intel

i have this too on my Lenovo yoga. On my other notebooks like the 11" MacBook air 2014 it works fine…
A clue where to search would be nice :slight_smile:
My guess is that it does not go to a deeper sleep state, maybe because of hardware issues…

By default on fedora there is no swap partition or swap file which is needed for “hibernation”.
Hibernation could be activated after some time in sleep. This turns the pc almost off and saves the memory state to swap. You could try that as a workaround.

Greetings

Thanks for you feedback!

I did a bit of research and it seems the main reason is the “s2idle” mode, which is used by default. This represents the standard for “modern snandby”, allowing faster recovery, but at the same time consuming much more energy. In my opinion this is too much. I don’t know if anyone is already working on some updates. If this isn’t the case the only option I’ve found would be to switch to “deep” mode.

I’m considering reporting on Bugzilla but I need help identifying which component is correct and compiling all the parts correctly.

1 Like

if i do this on my unsupported notebook it writes out [s2idle]:
cat /sys/power/mem_sleep

according to kernel documentation System Sleep States — The Linux Kernel documentation this is the most basic mode, like you said.

afaik deep should be listed after [s2idle] (currently i dont have my other notebook with me to check), according to the arch linux wiki (see changing suspend mode) Power management/Suspend and hibernate - ArchWiki you could try to change DSDT as described here: DSDT - ArchWiki - but i’ve never tried that, but it sounds rather advanced and stuff may break, you should only do this if you feel comfortable with this.

another option is the hibernation mentioned before, that should be easier to implement.

for an issue / bug report your model of notebook with processor etc. should be mentioned, because this could be hardware related. you can get system information with the inxi tool.

Switching to “deep” mode should be decisive and, as written in ArchWiki, it is possible to try it before making it permanent. This can avoid unexpected surprises.

Hibernation, as seen on various forums, seems to be problematic on some computers and this seems to be the reason why it is not activated by default on almost any distro.

In any case, having a modern computer, I don’t want to give up having a modern and fast standby system so soon; so I would like to report the issue to the developers to understand if, at the upstream implementation level, it is possible to improve this mode.

What kernel are you currently on right now? When did this start happening and if possible can you run an older kernel if you have one.

Thanks for you help!

I bought this PC at the same time as Fedora 38 came out and I’ve always had this problem. However I believe it has gotten worse since I moved to Fedora 39. I am currently on Linux 6.7.4. I have no chance to test an older kernel.

what does rpm -qa | grep kernel-core return for you from the terminal?

You can find and install older kernels in koji (but currently the koji server is offline). There are also “vanilla” kernels at https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/g/kernel-vanilla/fedora/

I tried with kernels 6.6.14 and 6.7.3. The situation is always the same.

So the battery drain in sleep mode has always been high.

It is possible you have a hardware problem – bad batteries or charging circuit. Many laptop batteries use the same Li cells found in power tools. DeWalt had a batch of bad batteries around the time you got your system (in that case, replacements were shipped based on images of the battery S/N) and users were told to recycle the bad batteries. Check the vendor’s site for battery issues.

There are failure modes where the charging circuit drains the battery when the power adapter is not connected.

You could use the LHDB to identify distros and kernels reported to work with your model and try a Live Linux from USB to see if battery drain decreases.

If you have access to an IR camera you might be able to identify a component that is generating excessive heat in sleep mode.

There should be a way to test your battery from the Bios menu. You will have to check that, since you have not mentioned what you Laptop make/Model is.

From what I have been able to see on the internet (also viewing LHDB) there do not seem to be any particular problems known with this hardware. As further examples I could tell you that the battery drops from 100% to 99% as soon as I unplug the charger and that the estimated time for complete discharge is drastically reduced from minute to minute (with some oscillations).

Acer Aspire AV15-51

Have you tried this? Could be a bad battery.

How to charge and care for your Acer battery - Acer Community.