Talk: GNOME suspends after 15 minutes of user inactivity, even on AC power

Sure I filed here Laptop tries to suspend while gnome-disk-utility is zeroing out a disk (#316) · Issues · GNOME / gnome-disk-utility · GitLab

2 Likes

I got surprised by this today when upgrading my home automation server from Fedora 37 to 39, then, 15 minutes after upgrading when everything seemed to be working, I found it suspended.

Normally this would be no real issue, I should just be able to resume, disable suspending, and continue. Unfortunately, this computer was an Intel NUC5i5RYH, which are known to brick themselves upon suspending, and this is what happened. To make things worse, the suggested fixes for this are not functioning, the computer appears to be dead.

I acknowledge that this is an unusual edge case that is likely to be very rare, nevertheless, I had a working computer that was still quite useful, and now I have a paperweight.

It really might be worth revisiting the idea of setting these values for upgraded systems.

Sorry to hear about your expensive paperweight.
Yes, a lot of us were caught by surprise with the change to “suspend after 15 minnutes idle”. Most were able to recover but it seems the only spin that was not forced into that was fedora server.

You are not really an edge case since many were running servers within VMs, or media servers, or doing remote management of machines many miles away, and many other situations. The only part I see that was an edge case for you was the particular hardware you were using.

Many of us have been affected indeed.

I got a bit surprised that you just joined up one day ago. If you do have delicate hardware I would have done this before and also asking what difficulties you might could get into it. I do think while working with opensource software, this should be a must.

But now the problem exists lets try to fix it.

I guess we talked a lot about this. If the community needs a Gnome version without the bells and whistles of power-saving, then the community has to be worried about it. A own SIG for it has been the closest what has been proposed. A close cooperation with the official Workstation team would might help to avoid such things happen in the future.

:fedora: Fedora is know to push ahead and not pulling the handbrake to stay there where it is.

Is there any clear solution to that gdm suspends the system even when remote user is logged in via ssh? This seems really crazy to me and it still happens on latest updates.

The current workaround is to disable automatic suspend completely per the guide in the first post.

In my home, designed for netzero, I appreciate the attention that went into reducing Fedora Workstation power requirements. Only 25% of comparable homes have lower “always on” loads, and most of my “always on” load is network and intercom.

Is the remote user on the same local network? For my home network, ssh to a Fedora workstation connected to the wired network, wake-on-lan allows me to start an ssh session from a laptop using wifi.

Hi Sampson,

I like the /etc/systemd/sleep.conf.d/sus-hib-off.conf solution!
However don’t forget to make sure [Sleep] is before the Allow* lines.

The updated command could be:

sudo mkdir -p /etc/systemd/sleep.conf.d && sudo tee /etc/systemd/sleep.conf.d/sus-hib-off.conf << "EOF"
[Sleep]
AllowSuspend=no
AllowHibernation=no
AllowSuspendThenHibernate=no
AllowHybridSleep=no
EOF

Thanks, I would like to fix it already on request 59, unfortunately I can’t edit my answer anymore, it is too long since I mentioned it.

I just fixed that for you in the original post.

1 Like

We currently don’t have any policy on when to close Talk topics related to Common Issues , but at least for this one, I think it makes sense to still keep it open for some time. This change got introduced in F38 (but people could’ve upgraded F37->F39 and meet it in F39 for the first time), and F39 is still a supported release. When people deal with problems related to the linked common issue, it’s easiest to have a centralized topic for them here.

2 Likes