Tags for languages in new scheme

Based on prior discussion, we’re going to merge the non-English language categories into one. I intend to create tags for the languages in use (and make it easy to request new ones). The question is: what should those tags be called?

This is a straw poll to help us figure that out!

Language tags should be named
  • In English. (Like, #spanish, #italian, #chinese)
  • In the native language (#español, #italiano, (and someone will have to help me with Chinese!)
  • Both (Like #spanish-español, #italian-italiano, …)
  • Something else!

0 voters

However it is done the system should force a language tag be chosen. Probably default to english if the user does not select.

1 Like

Yeah, this will only be in the “Ask in Other Languages” category, and I’ll make selecting a language tag mandatory there (only).

You will then be able to mute the whole of that category if you choose, or select specific tags to follow.

Looks like native language is winning. Can someone please tell me what I should use for the two Chinese categories and for Farsi? I can use Google Translate, but it is sometimes hard to know what should be used for a label like this.

Ping @alick @zerng07 @hedayat

1 Like

For Persian (Farsi), it should be:
فارسی

1 Like

As to Chinese language part, people in mainland China (simplified Chinese characters) and Taiwan (traditional Chinese characters) use different writing systems.

For example, the official education system don’t teach simplified Chinese writing system in Taiwan, and we have to learn by ourselves. I learn simplified Chinese myself when I was studying in the university. I could hardly read simplified Chinese before that time.

Therefore, it is better to separate simplified Chinese (China) from traditional Chinese (Taiwan) due to the writing system issue.

I suggest keeping using “chinese-simplified” (Chinese for simplified characters) for simplified Chinese and “chinese-traditional” (Chinese for traditional characters) for traditional Chinese.

1 Like

Thank you! That is the decision we arrived at Need help from someone fluent in Chinese — what’s the right text to use for tags for posts in this language? I should have added a link here!

1 Like