Sytem unresponsive after user inactive

I have a new computer and for the first time, I decided instead of installing Ubuntu, I would try Fedora. I love the system’s usability, but I am having quite a serious problem.

My Fedora system has become unresponsive quite often recently. It happens few times a day but only when I am away from the system, i.e. while I am continuing to use it, it remains available and active. This suggests the problem lies in something to do with the system going into some kind of suspension or power saving mode. (I have turned susension off in the power settings but, a) I don’t yet know if that’s negated the problem, and b) I feel I shouldn’t need to do this).

The power light of the computer stays on, but the moving the mouse or key-presses on the keyboard do not bring it to life; nor does hitting the (lit up) power button. I have tried hitting alt-F2 and F3…4.,5 etc to bring up a console, but that doesn’t work either.

I have to kill the power by holding down the power button to hard reset, and the machine starts again no problem.

Sometimes on the notifications, it mentions that Gnome crashed. Other times it doesn’t.

Having read about similar problems on other people’s systems, I tried disabling gnome extensions (though that was a couple of weeks ago and I cannot remember which ones were enabled).

I examined the system logs using journalctl.

$ journalctl -b | grep -i “error”` indicated that there are errors with ACPI, Gnome, Bluetooth and systemd amongst others. Here’s a link to the output: Mar 12 18:51:51 Muddlehead kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symb - Pastebin.com

lspci -k | grep VGA lets me know the GPU is the AMD Rembrandt Radeon 680M:
e5:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Rembrandt [Radeon 680M] (rev c7)

I am really unsure where to go from here. I am unsure if this is a hardware problem or OS problem.If it’s hardware I really need to act quickly to send the computer back.

1 Like

Not sure if this helps, but you can switch to S3 sleep (suspend to RAM) like this

sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="mem_sleep_default=s3"

And to s2idle, which modern hardware often uses but which is not default afaik

sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="mem_sleep_default=s2idle"

This may be due to the power saving features that were turned on by default on fedora a few releases back.

The system is now set to automatically suspend after 15 minutes idle (no keyboard or mouse activity).
This can usually be solved by doing the following.

sudo mkdir /etc/systemd/sleep.conf.d
sudo tee /etc/systemd/sleep.conf.d/nosleep.conf <<< EOF
[Sleep]
AllowSuspend=no
AllowHibernation=no
AllowSuspendThenHibernate=no
AllowHybridSleep=no
EOF

then reboot and the sleep/suspend issue should stop being a problem.