System stops responding when using wi-fi

You said this
Then you added

Sometimes we cannot meet our desires because of other issues. a suitable workaround seems to be start with the 2.4 ghz speed and work on solving the issue with the 5 ghz.

You also noted that this may be related to waking up from sleep so that also would need verified for repeatability. Sometimes a device is powered off (especially wifi) when sleeping and it does not get automatically reconfigured or powered on when waking up. That is an area to look closely at.

I cannot do that kind of testing since I have different hardware, as well as keeping my system active 24x7. It never sleeps.

This shows up to kernel-6.3. 6.4 kernels often require changes to drivers. There are often lags between introduction of newer kernels and updates for drivers that the developers don’t use. Sometimes developers overlook changes, and sometimes they make a mistake implementing the changes. Some changes involve vendor firmware. Not all vendors make linux a priority. Intel does, and Intel linux drivers for wifi chips says:

If you have technical issues or general questions about Intel Wi-Fi on Linux, contact Intel Customer Support.

A USB wifi dongle would be useful while waiting for fixes.

based on that, it doesn’t indicate problem with sleep, cause when my laptop is not in sleep that happens too, but that indicates that system lag is caused by something that isn’t active when the screen is locked.

it doesn’t happen on ubuntu 23.10 live cd( i tested it for 45 minutes)

so that’s not a hardware issue, so the discussion is here back again

also, sometimes my audio lags and it seems to be related to the wifi problem, if i have wifi off, and use usb hotspot from my phone, then the wifi doesn’t lag, it doesn’t happen on ubuntu

after upgrading to fedora 39, when gnome freezes, i can still move my mouse, but i cannot make my computer go to sleep in that state

Did you try Intel Support? The Linux Hardware Database has 25 pages for probes of your wifi chipset, so you should look for probes for your system. Sometimes there are user comments that tell you to configure wifi. I don’t recall mention of the type of computer or whether the wifi hardware was original equipment from the system vendor. You may be able to install a Fedora LTS kernel that is closer to Ubuntu. Wifi problems with recent kernels can be caused by outdated firmware. Many systems configure wifi before booting an OS (e.g., in BIOS) so they can boot from a network server (commonly used in cubicle farms and student labs), so there can be clashes between the BIOS drivers and recent kernels. Vendors that don’t explicitly support linux may not bother to fix such conflicts, but if they have been told of the problem Intel may add workarounds to their drivers.

Yeah I did, but they only support Ubuntu and windows. So no fedora here.

I will check my chip on the hardware db

no note on my wifi card, and when i clicked at few devices where it’s not working, the problem was always that the kernel was too old, and the driver was introduced later, but on fedora 35, 36 and up it says that it’s working

i will also check my bios settings

no, my bios network boot option was and is off

should i try untainting my kernel?(i got nvidia drivers and v4lloopback)

cause the kernel gets a null pointer dereference error

By “they” do you mean Intel Support or your hardware vendor? Intel submits drivers to kernel.org, so their drivers should support all distros, but when you get into clashes between linux drivers and the BIOS there are distro and hardware vendor dependencies.

It would be good to see the actual error message, which should include some context for the error. A null pointer deref can be a side effect of the wifi failure and may not cause wifi to drop (but should still be addressed, although at a lower priority).

i mean intel, my vendor only support windows

i decided that i will untaint my kernel, so i can report the errror catched by abrt

There should be files related to the abrt and you certainly can report the errors and submit those logs even while using 3rd party drivers. The system does not automatically report them when the kernel is tainted but you can do so yourself.

i untainted it, and… It works, i don’t know was this caused by the update or by the deletion of nvidia driver and v4l2loopback

1 Like

ok, i can confirm that’s the fault of proprtietary nvidia driver.

I installed it back again, and… the system crashed as always, so i will stick with nouveau and later report the issue back to nvidia

1 Like

nevermind, it has happend again

logs

Removing the proprtietary nvidia drivers removed the audio problems, but the proprtieary nvidia drivers weren’t the cause of the problem, the problem is still here

I have sucessfully reported the issue on the fedora’s bugzilla

1 Like