Sudden issues in the past 2 weeks - cannot paste text, cannot log out or suspend

Thank you so much for that detailed reply.

$ cat /sys/power/mem_sleep 
[s2idle] deep

Thankfully I have the same output.
I just did some reading up on mem_sleep_default=deep and I do not think that is the root issue.
My system can suspend, but only when I’m logged out. So there’s something that’s interfering or even hanging the system when I’m logged in. Now that I cannot even log out, my old workaround is not an option. FWIW, my system hangs when logging out even under X11.

It might be 2 separate issues, not being able to log out, and not being able to reliably suspend successfully when logged in.

No, no, I think you misunderstood it.

Modern Standby is bad and has lots of issues right now, if you have both S0ix and S3 sleep, S3 is likely to be more reliable.

To be actually able to have proper S0ix, Intel has a blog post: Open Ecosystem

And an accompanying tool: GitHub - intel/S0ixSelftestTool: S0ix Selftest Tool is designed to do the initial debugging for the S2idle path CPU Package C-state and S0ix failures in Linux OS for Intel® Client platforms, it also supports the basic runtime PC10 status check.

Ideally you would use the output of that tool and report to the kernel devs.

I see, I’m on a desktop and have not encountered my system waking up by itself. If anything, prior to disabling “IOAPIC 24-119”, I could not wake my system up from sleep. Furthermore, Sleep continues to work as expected if I’m logged out or have not yet logged in. It works unreliably when I’m logged in (only works about 25% of the time)

Is there a way to verify whether the system is using S0ix or S3 sleep?

Also found this good reference - Power management/Suspend and hibernate - ArchWiki

Yes, I actually had instructions for that on the previous reply.

Notice how there are brackets around s2idle? That’s the selected option. s2idle = S0ix, deep = S3.

Oh, I hadn’t read that page in the Arch Wiki in a while, I didn’t even know they had S0ix info there already.

I see, okay then yes I managed to changed the kernel params and it has survived several reboots. IT WORKS! I did 3 Sleeps in a row and it works, will report back again after several days just to be sure. Thank you again! This darn thing has been bugging me for several months now.

Oddly, Log Out is still not working. So I guess I had 3 separate issues afterall. But with Sleep working, Log Out is not as critical as before.

Now that you know that S3 sleep works better than S0ix, you should make a note of that to readd the parameter if you reinstall.

However, it should be a good idea to run the Intel tool I mentioned previously and make reports so the S0ix support is improved in your machine as well:

Consider taking some time to boot into S0ix version of sleep, run the tool and report to the kernel guys.

That’s probably either a broken session (logind?), broken display manager (ssdm?) or maybe even broken Plasma. I don’t think it’s likely to be GPU driver.

You can try looking at the logs for each of them.

logind should be systemctl status systemd-logind.service and should porbably have some useful info, you can have info for the display manager from systemctl status display-manager.service.

One of those two should at least return useful info.

If it’s the actual plasma binary that crashes, then you could try journalctl -b <binary path>.
I don’t know the binary path for plasma, but I know that for gnome-shell it’s journalctl -b /usr/bin/gnome-shell, so just find the equivalent.

Update: Sleep is still broken.

If I select Sleep from the “Start” menu (clicking the Fedora icon on bottom left), it works 90% (for now).
If selected from the ctrl-alt-del menu, Sleep works around 50% of the time.
If selected from the lock screen (where options are either login with password, or back to sleep), Sleep does not work all the time.

There seems to be 2 failure modes too.

I’ve had only 1 hard freeze so far, screen shows a bloated fedora icon (similar to when its using noveau drivers), no responses from mouse or keyboard lights, but the system is still running and fans are spinning.

Other failures have been recoverable. Monitor goes into power saving mode, system is running with fans spinning. A few seconds later I’m presenting with the lock screen. I’m then able to login normally and try Sleep again.

For context, in a successful sleep, I hear a click sound and fans stop almost immediately, when those are missing I know something is amiss.

I’m willing to post whatever logs that might be useful, just please do guide on what commands to use. I’m trying my best to describe what is happening but its more definitive to post logs.

systemctl status systemd-logind.service

output seems ordinary, no errors/warnings. I note that it only shows logs from the time I booted. The previous boot logs would be more useful in debugging a freeze during log out.

systemctl status display-manager.service

sddm-helper[1317]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file

is the only error seen.

journalctl -b /usr/bin/plasmashell

shows up many warnings (I presume yellow is warnings) about various things. Nothing obviously related to logout.
After removing plasmoid related warnings, I’m left with these.

plasmashell[1506]: Aborting shell load: The activity manager daemon (kactivitymanagerd) is not running.
plasmashell[1506]: If this Plasma has been installed into a custom prefix, verify that its D-Bus services dir is known to the system for the daemon to be activatable.
plasmashell[1506]: qt.qpa.wayland: Wayland does not support QWindow::requestActivate()
plasmashell[1506]: org.kde.plasma.containmentlayoutmanager: Error: cannot change the containment to AppletsLayout
plasmashell[1506]: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
plasmashell[1506]: libpng warning: known incorrect sRGB profile
plasmashell[1506]: libpng warning: profile matches sRGB but writing iCCP instead

This message is harmless even when classified as an error.

In that case try journalctl -b -1 -u systemd-logind.service.
Basically you will be seeing the previous bit with -b -1 and -u allows to specify which units to get the logs from.

journalctl -b -1 -u systemd-logind.service did not yield anything interesting.

I however tried journalctl -b -1, posted below are the logs from the point (I think) of when the logout command was called, to the start of a coredump which is really long and hence not included.

Logout hanged journalctl logs
systemd[1322]: Started dbus-:1.2-org.kde.LogoutPrompt@3.service.
ksmserver-logout-greeter[12341]: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
ksmserver-logout-greeter[12341]: qt.qpa.wayland: Wayland does not support QWindow::requestActivate()
ksmserver-logout-greeter[12341]: qt.qpa.wayland: Wayland does not support QWindow::requestActivate()
systemd[1322]: Started dbus-:1.2-org.kde.Shutdown@0.service.
systemd[1322]: dbus-:1.2-org.kde.LogoutPrompt@3.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1322]: dbus-:1.2-org.kde.LogoutPrompt@3.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
kded5[1543]: X connection to :1 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
kaccess[1751]: The X11 connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
systemd[1322]: app-kaccess@autostart.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1322]: app-kaccess@autostart.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
imsettings-daemon[1766]: [        48.508121]: IMSettings-Daemon[1766]: INFO: Stopped main process for IBus with the status 0 [pid: 2001]
kwin_wayland[1385]: QtDBus: cannot relay signals from parent QObject(0x5609200f59e0 "") unless they are emitted in the object's thread QThread(0x560920054438 "libinput-connection"). Current thread is QThread(0x56091>
plasmashell[1506]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo"
plasmashell[1506]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.iec958-stereo.monitor"
plasmashell[1506]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.iec958-stereo.monitor"
xdg-desktop-por[1430]: Error reading events from display: Broken pipe
kwalletd5[1340]: The Wayland connection broke. Did the Wayland compositor die?
kernel: snd_hda_codec_hdmi hdaudioC1D0: HDMI: invalid ELD data byte 3
kded5[1481]: The Wayland connection broke. Did the Wayland compositor die?
kwalletd5[1340]: The Wayland connection broke. Did the Wayland compositor die?
systemd[1322]: xdg-desktop-portal-gnome.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1322]: xdg-desktop-portal-gnome.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
plasmashell[1506]: The Wayland connection broke. Did the Wayland compositor die?
xdg-desktop-portal-kde[1546]: The Wayland connection broke. Did the Wayland compositor die?
kactivitymanagerd[1538]: The Wayland connection broke. Did the Wayland compositor die?
polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1[1544]: The Wayland connection broke. Did the Wayland compositor die?
polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1[1544]: The Wayland connection broke. Did the Wayland compositor die?
xdg-desktop-por[1617]: Error reading events from display: Broken pipe
org_kde_powerdevil[1545]: The Wayland connection broke. Did the Wayland compositor die?
kdeconnectd[1736]: The Wayland connection broke. Did the Wayland compositor die?
DiscoverNotifier[1757]: The Wayland connection broke. Did the Wayland compositor die?
konsole[12293]: The Wayland connection broke. Did the Wayland compositor die?
systemd[1322]: plasma-kactivitymanagerd.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1322]: plasma-kactivitymanagerd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
systemd[1322]: xdg-desktop-portal-gtk.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1322]: xdg-desktop-portal-gtk.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
systemd[1322]: plasma-powerdevil.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1322]: plasma-powerdevil.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
polkitd[861]: Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-session:2 (system bus name :1.64, object path /org/kde/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_SG.UTF-8) (disconnected from bus)
systemd[1322]: plasma-polkit-agent.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1322]: plasma-polkit-agent.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
systemd[1322]: plasma-xdg-desktop-portal-kde.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1322]: plasma-xdg-desktop-portal-kde.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
systemd[1322]: app-org.kde.kdeconnect.daemon@autostart.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1322]: app-org.kde.kdeconnect.daemon@autostart.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
systemd[1322]: plasma-kded.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1322]: plasma-kded.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
systemd[1322]: plasma-kded.service: Consumed 1.703s CPU time.
systemd[1322]: app-org.kde.discover.notifier@autostart.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1322]: app-org.kde.discover.notifier@autostart.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
systemd[1322]: plasma-plasmashell.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1322]: plasma-plasmashell.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
systemd[1322]: plasma-plasmashell.service: Consumed 1min 33.851s CPU time.
systemd[1322]: plasma-powerdevil.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 1.
systemd[1322]: Stopped target plasma-workspace-wayland.target.
systemd[1322]: Stopped plasma-powerdevil.service - Powerdevil.
systemd[1322]: Starting plasma-powerdevil.service - Powerdevil...
systemd[1322]: plasma-kwin_wayland.service: Consumed 42min 22.450s CPU time.
systemd[1322]: Stopped target plasma-workspace.target - KDE Plasma Workspace.
systemd[1322]: Requested transaction contradicts existing jobs: Transaction for graphical-session.target/stop is destructive (plasma-powerdevil.service has 'start' job queued, but 'stop' is included in transaction).
systemd[1322]: graphical-session.target: Failed to enqueue stop job, ignoring: Transaction for graphical-session.target/stop is destructive (plasma-powerdevil.service has 'start' job queued, but 'stop' is included i>
systemd[1322]: Stopped target plasma-core.target - KDE Plasma Workspace Core.
systemd[1322]: Stopped target xdg-desktop-autostart.target - Startup of XDG autostart applications.
systemd[1322]: Stopped target graphical-session-pre.target - Session services which should run early before the graphical session is brought up.
org_kde_powerdevil[12396]: Failed to create wl_display (No such file or directory)
org_kde_powerdevil[12396]: qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "wayland" in "" even though it was found.
audit[12396]: ANOM_ABEND auid=1000 uid=1000 gid=1000 ses=3 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 pid=12396 comm="org_kde_powerde" exe="/usr/libexec/org_kde_powerdevil" sig=6 res=1
org_kde_powerdevil[12396]: This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.
systemd[1]: Created slice system-systemd\x2dcoredump.slice - Slice /system/systemd-coredump.
audit: BPF prog-id=84 op=LOAD
audit: BPF prog-id=85 op=LOAD
audit: BPF prog-id=86 op=LOAD
systemd[1]: Started systemd-coredump@0-12400-0.service - Process Core Dump (PID 12400/UID 0).
audit[1]: SERVICE_START pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj=system_u:system_r:init_t:s0 msg='unit=systemd-coredump@0-12400-0 comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res>
systemd[1322]: plasma-polkit-agent.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 1.
systemd[1322]: plasma-plasmashell.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 1.
systemd[1322]: Stopped plasma-plasmashell.service - KDE Plasma Workspace.
systemd[1322]: plasma-plasmashell.service: Consumed 1min 33.851s CPU time.
systemd[1322]: Starting plasma-plasmashell.service - KDE Plasma Workspace...
systemd[1322]: Stopped plasma-polkit-agent.service - KDE PolicyKit Authentication Agent.
systemd[1322]: Starting plasma-polkit-agent.service - KDE PolicyKit Authentication Agent...
polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1[12406]: qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display
audit[12406]: ANOM_ABEND auid=1000 uid=1000 gid=1000 ses=3 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 pid=12406 comm="polkit-kde-auth" exe="/usr/libexec/kf5/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1" sig=6 r>
polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1[12406]: qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1[12406]: KCrash: Application '<unknown>' crashing...
polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1[12406]: This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.
systemd[1322]: plasma-polkit-agent.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
systemd[1322]: plasma-polkit-agent.service: Failed with result 'signal'.
systemd[1322]: Failed to start plasma-polkit-agent.service - KDE PolicyKit Authentication Agent.
systemd-coredump[12403]: [🡕] Process 12396 (org_kde_powerde) of user 1000 dumped core.

I believe this coredump to be important, as that is probably what crashed your system.

Could you try with coredumpctl and see if anything interesting pops up?

I believe you can have info for a specific coredump with coredumpctl info <id> and you probably should be able to report that issue with ABRT, but I don’t know how ABRT works on Fedora KDE.

Posting the journalctl logs from a soft failed Sleep (monitor goes to power saving, fans remain spinning, after 1 min or so system resumes by itself and I’m presenting with the unlock screen)

soft failed Sleep journalctl logs
ModemManager[1038]: <info>  [sleep-monitor] system is about to suspend
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [19782315.9308] manager: sleep: sleep requested (sleeping: no  enabled: yes)
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [19782315.9310] manager: NetworkManager state is now ASLEEP
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [19782315.9311] device (abc1d2): state change: activated -> deactivating (reason 'sleeping', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
kded5[1472]: org.kde.plasma.nm.kded: Unhandled active connection state change:  3
systemd[1]: Starting NetworkManager-dispatcher.service - Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service...
systemd[1]: Started NetworkManager-dispatcher.service - Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service.
audit[1]: SERVICE_START pid=1 uid=0 auid=XX ses=XX subj=system_u:system_r:init_t:s0 msg='unit=NetworkManager-dispatcher comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=>
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [19782315.9523] device (abc1d2): state change: deactivating -> disconnected (reason 'sleeping', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [19782315.9528] dhcp4 (abc1d2): canceled DHCP transaction
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [19782315.9529] dhcp4 (abc1d2): activation: beginning transaction (timeout in 45 seconds)
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [19782315.9529] dhcp4 (abc1d2): state changed no lease
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [19782315.9530] dhcp6 (abc1d2): canceled DHCP transaction
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [19782315.9530] dhcp6 (abc1d2): activation: beginning transaction (timeout in 45 seconds)
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [19782315.9530] dhcp6 (abc1d2): state changed no lease
systemd-resolved[801]: abc1d2: Bus client reset search domain list.
systemd-resolved[801]: abc1d2: Bus client set default route setting: no
systemd-resolved[801]: abc1d2: Bus client reset DNS server list.
audit[1039]: NETFILTER_CFG table=firewalld:5 family=1 entries=5 op=nft_unregister_rule pid=1039 subj=system_u:system_r:firewalld_t:s0 comm="firewalld"
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [19782315.9903] device (abc1d2): set-hw-addr: reset MAC address to XX (deactivate)
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [19782315.9912] device (abc1d2): state change: disconnected -> unmanaged (reason 'sleeping', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
kernel: r8169 0000:04:00.0 abc1d2: Link is Down
chronyd[1000]: Source XX offline
chronyd[1000]: Can't synchronise: no selectable sources
systemd[1]: Reached target sleep.target - Sleep.
systemd[1]: Starting nvidia-suspend.service - NVIDIA system suspend actions...
suspend[3708]: nvidia-suspend.service
logger[3708]: <13> suspend: nvidia-suspend.service
plasmashell[1497]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo"
plasmashell[1497]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.iec958-stereo.monitor"
plasmashell[1497]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.iec958-stereo.monitor"
DiscoverNotifier[1753]: packagekitqt.transaction: Unknown Transaction property: "Sender" QVariant(QString, ":1.87")
DiscoverNotifier[1753]: packagekitqt.transaction: Unknown Transaction property: "Sender" QVariant(QString, ":1.87")
kernel: snd_hda_codec_hdmi hdaudioC1D0: HDMI: invalid ELD data byte 3
plasmashell[1497]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.iec958-stereo"
plasmashell[1497]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "@DEFAULT_SINK@"
plasmashell[1497]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "@DEFAULT_SOURCE@"
plasmashell[1497]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "@DEFAULT_SINK@"
plasmashell[1497]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "@DEFAULT_SOURCE@"
plasmashell[1497]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "auto_null.monitor"
PackageKit[1930]: get-updates transaction /12770_eedecaac from uid 1000 finished with success after 136ms
uresourced[1275]: Setting resources on user-1000.slice (MemoryMin: 0, MemoryLow: 0, CPUWeight: 100, IOWeight: 100)
uresourced[1275]: Setting resources on user@1000.service (MemoryMin: 0, MemoryLow: 0, CPUWeight: 100, IOWeight: 100)
uresourced[1275]: Setting resources on user.slice (MemoryMin: 0, MemoryLow: 0, CPUWeight: -, IOWeight: -)
systemd[1]: nvidia-suspend.service: Deactivated successfully.
systemd[1]: Finished nvidia-suspend.service - NVIDIA system suspend actions.
audit[1]: SERVICE_START pid=1 uid=0 auid=XX ses=XX subj=system_u:system_r:init_t:s0 msg='unit=nvidia-suspend comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success'
audit[1]: SERVICE_STOP pid=1 uid=0 auid=XX ses=XX subj=system_u:system_r:init_t:s0 msg='unit=nvidia-suspend comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success'
systemd[1]: Starting systemd-suspend.service - System Suspend...
systemd-sleep[3794]: Entering sleep state 'suspend'...
kernel: PM: suspend entry (deep)
kernel: Filesystems sync: 0.287 seconds
kernel: Freezing user space processes ... 
kernel: Freezing of tasks failed after 20.007 seconds (1 tasks refusing to freeze, wq_busy=0):
kernel: task:kwin_wayland    state:D stack:0     pid:1376  ppid:1369   flags:0x00000006
kernel: Call Trace:
kernel:  <TASK>
kernel:  __schedule+0x35f/0x1360
kernel:  ? _raw_spin_lock_irqsave+0x23/0x50
kernel:  schedule+0x5d/0xe0
kernel:  rwsem_down_read_slowpath+0x27c/0x4c0
kernel:  nvkms_ioctl_from_kapi+0x22/0x90 [nvidia_modeset]
kernel:  _nv000080kms+0x1bc/0x240 [nvidia_modeset]
kernel:  ? nv_drm_internal_framebuffer_create+0x21c/0x340 [nvidia_drm]
kernel:  ? nv_drm_framebuffer_create+0x84/0x90 [nvidia_drm]
kernel:  ? drm_internal_framebuffer_create+0x3b1/0x540
kernel:  ? drm_mode_addfb2+0x46/0xf0
kernel:  ? drm_mode_addfb_ioctl+0x10/0x10
kernel:  ? drm_ioctl_kernel+0xa6/0x150
kernel:  ? drm_ioctl+0x22f/0x410
kernel:  ? __x64_sys_ioctl+0x8d/0xd0
kernel:  ? do_syscall_64+0x58/0x80
kernel:  ? syscall_exit_to_user_mode+0x17/0x40
kernel:  ? do_syscall_64+0x67/0x80
kernel:  ? entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x63/0xcd
kernel:  </TASK>
kernel: 
kernel: OOM killer enabled.
kernel: Restarting tasks ... done.
kernel: random: crng reseeded on system resumption
kernel: PM: suspend exit
kernel: PM: suspend entry (s2idle)
kernel: Filesystems sync: 0.012 seconds
audit[1]: SERVICE_STOP pid=1 uid=0 auid=XX ses=XX subj=system_u:system_r:init_t:s0 msg='unit=NetworkManager-dispatcher comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=s>
rtkit-daemon[866]: The canary thread is apparently starving. Taking action.
kernel: Freezing user space processes ... 
kernel: Freezing of tasks failed after 20.001 seconds (1 tasks refusing to freeze, wq_busy=0):
kernel: task:kwin_wayland    state:D stack:0     pid:1376  ppid:1369   flags:0x00000006
kernel: Call Trace:
kernel:  <TASK>
kernel:  __schedule+0x35f/0x1360
kernel:  ? _raw_spin_lock_irqsave+0x23/0x50
kernel:  schedule+0x5d/0xe0
kernel:  rwsem_down_read_slowpath+0x27c/0x4c0
kernel:  nvkms_ioctl_from_kapi+0x22/0x90 [nvidia_modeset]
kernel:  _nv000080kms+0x1bc/0x240 [nvidia_modeset]
kernel:  ? nv_drm_internal_framebuffer_create+0x21c/0x340 [nvidia_drm]
kernel:  ? nv_drm_framebuffer_create+0x84/0x90 [nvidia_drm]
kernel:  ? drm_internal_framebuffer_create+0x3b1/0x540
kernel:  ? drm_mode_addfb2+0x46/0xf0
kernel:  ? drm_ioctl_kernel+0xa6/0x150
kernel:  ? drm_ioctl+0x22f/0x410
kernel:  ? __x64_sys_ioctl+0x8d/0xd0
kernel:  ? do_syscall_64+0x58/0x80
kernel:  ? entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x63/0xcd
kernel:  </TASK>
kernel: 
kernel: OOM killer enabled.
systemd[1]: NetworkManager-dispatcher.service: Deactivated successfully.
rtkit-daemon[866]: Demoting known real-time threads.
systemd-sleep[3794]: Failed to put system to sleep. System resumed again: Device or resource busy
kernel: Restarting tasks ... done.
kernel: random: crng reseeded on system resumption
kernel: PM: suspend exit
rtkit-daemon[866]: Successfully demoted thread 2063 of process 2060 (/usr/bin/pipewire-pulse).
rtkit-daemon[866]: Successfully demoted thread 2060 of process 2060 (/usr/bin/pipewire-pulse).
rtkit-daemon[866]: Successfully demoted thread 1419 of process 1394 (/usr/bin/wireplumber).
rtkit-daemon[866]: Successfully demoted thread 1394 of process 1394 (/usr/bin/wireplumber).
rtkit-daemon[866]: Successfully demoted thread 1422 of process 1393 (/usr/bin/pipewire).
rtkit-daemon[866]: Successfully demoted thread 1393 of process 1393 (/usr/bin/pipewire).
rtkit-daemon[866]: Demoted 7 threads.
rtkit-daemon[866]: The canary thread is apparently starving. Taking action.
rtkit-daemon[866]: Demoting known real-time threads.
rtkit-daemon[866]: Successfully demoted thread 2063 of process 2060 (/usr/bin/pipewire-pulse).
rtkit-daemon[866]: Successfully demoted thread 2060 of process 2060 (/usr/bin/pipewire-pulse).
rtkit-daemon[866]: Successfully demoted thread 1419 of process 1394 (/usr/bin/wireplumber).
rtkit-daemon[866]: Successfully demoted thread 1394 of process 1394 (/usr/bin/wireplumber).
rtkit-daemon[866]: Successfully demoted thread 1422 of process 1393 (/usr/bin/pipewire).
rtkit-daemon[866]: Successfully demoted thread 1393 of process 1393 (/usr/bin/pipewire).
rtkit-daemon[866]: Demoted 7 threads.
systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
audit[1]: SERVICE_STOP pid=1 uid=0 auid=XX ses=XX subj=system_u:system_r:init_t:s0 msg='unit=fprintd comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success'
audit: BPF prog-id=80 op=UNLOAD
kwin_wayland[1376]: kwin_wayland_drm: Atomic commit failed! Permission denied
kwin_wayland[1376]: kwin_wayland_drm: Presentation failed! Permission denied
systemd[1]: systemd-suspend.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1]: systemd-suspend.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
systemd[1]: Failed to start systemd-suspend.service - System Suspend.
systemd[1]: Dependency failed for suspend.target - Suspend.
audit[1]: SERVICE_START pid=1 uid=0 auid=XX ses=XX subj=system_u:system_r:init_t:s0 msg='unit=systemd-suspend comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=failed'
systemd[1]: suspend.target: Job suspend.target/start failed with result 'dependency'.
systemd[1]: systemd-suspend.service: Consumed 2.139s CPU time.
systemd-logind[870]: Operation 'sleep' finished.
ModemManager[1038]: <info>  [sleep-monitor] system is resuming
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211624.6127] manager: sleep: wake requested (sleeping: yes  enabled: yes)
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211624.6129] device (abc1d2): state change: unmanaged -> unavailable (reason 'managed', sys-iface-state: 'external')
kernel: RTL8226B_RTL8221B 2.5Gbps PHY r8169-0-400:00: attached PHY driver (mii_bus:phy_addr=r8169-0-400:00, irq=MAC)
uresourced[1275]: Setting resources on user.slice (MemoryMin: 262144000, MemoryLow: 0, CPUWeight: -, IOWeight: -)
uresourced[1275]: Setting resources on user-1000.slice (MemoryMin: 262144000, MemoryLow: 0, CPUWeight: 500, IOWeight: 500)
uresourced[1275]: Setting resources on user@1000.service (MemoryMin: 262144000, MemoryLow: 0, CPUWeight: 500, IOWeight: 500)
kwin_wayland[1376]: kwin_wayland_drm: Failed to create gamma blob! Invalid argument
systemd[1]: Stopped target sleep.target - Sleep.
systemd[1]: Starting nvidia-resume.service - NVIDIA system resume actions...
suspend[3837]: nvidia-resume.service
logger[3837]: <13> suspend: nvidia-resume.service
systemd[1]: nvidia-resume.service: Deactivated successfully.
systemd[1]: Finished nvidia-resume.service - NVIDIA system resume actions.
audit[1]: SERVICE_START pid=1 uid=0 auid=XX ses=XX subj=system_u:system_r:init_t:s0 msg='unit=nvidia-resume comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success'
audit[1]: SERVICE_STOP pid=1 uid=0 auid=XX ses=XX subj=system_u:system_r:init_t:s0 msg='unit=nvidia-resume comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success'
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211624.7875] manager: NetworkManager state is now DISCONNECTED
kernel: r8169 0000:04:00.0 abc1d2: Link is Down
wireplumber[1394]: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner
plasmashell[1497]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "auto_null"
plasmashell[1497]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "auto_null.monitor"
plasmashell[1497]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo.monitor"
plasmashell[1497]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo.monitor"
ModemManager[1038]: <info>  [base-manager] couldn't check support for device '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.2/0000:04:00.0': not supported by any plugin
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211627.3537] device (abc1d2): carrier: link connected
kernel: r8169 0000:04:00.0 abc1d2: Link is Up - Full - flow control rx/tx
kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): abc1d2: link becomes ready
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211627.3538] device (abc1d2): state change: unavailable -> disconnected (reason 'carrier-changed', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211627.3542] policy: auto-activating connection 'conn' (XX)
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211627.3544] device (abc1d2): Activation: starting connection 'conn' (XX)
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211627.3544] device (abc1d2): state change: disconnected -> prepare (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211627.3546] manager: NetworkManager state is now CONNECTING
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211627.3549] device (abc1d2): set-hw-addr: set-cloned MAC address to XX (XX)
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211627.3549] device (abc1d2): state change: prepare -> config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
audit[1039]: NETFILTER_CFG table=firewalld:6 family=1 entries=5 op=nft_register_rule pid=1039 subj=system_u:system_r:firewalld_t:s0 comm="firewalld"
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211627.3602] device (abc1d2): state change: config -> ip-config (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211627.3605] dhcp4 (abc1d2): activation: beginning transaction (timeout in 45 seconds)
systemd-resolved[801]: abc1d2: Bus client set default route setting: yes
systemd-resolved[801]: abc1d2: Bus client set DNS server list to: XX
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211628.8389] dhcp6 (abc1d2): activation: beginning transaction (timeout in 45 seconds)
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211628.8392] policy: set 'conn' (abc1d2) as default for IPv6 routing and DNS
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211628.8404] dhcp6 (abc1d2): state changed new lease, address=XX
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211629.3655] dhcp4 (abc1d2): state changed new lease, address=XX
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211629.3657] policy: set 'conn' (abc1d2) as default for IPv4 routing and DNS
systemd-resolved[801]: abc1d2: Bus client set search domain list to: XX
systemd[1]: Starting NetworkManager-dispatcher.service - Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service...
systemd[1]: Started NetworkManager-dispatcher.service - Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service.
audit[1]: SERVICE_START pid=1 uid=0 auid=XX ses=XX subj=system_u:system_r:init_t:s0 msg='unit=NetworkManager-dispatcher comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=>
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211629.3773] device (abc1d2): state change: ip-config -> ip-check (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211629.3780] device (abc1d2): state change: ip-check -> secondaries (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211629.3781] device (abc1d2): state change: secondaries -> activated (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211629.3783] manager: NetworkManager state is now CONNECTED_SITE
NetworkManager[1087]: <info>  [1678211629.3785] device (abc1d2): Activation: successful, device activated.

coredumpctl yields dumps from /usr/bin/plasmashell and /usr/libexec/org_kde_powerdevil

I tried to include them here but it exceeds the character limit by a very significant margin!

It’s a crash in the Nvidia driver that is preventing your system to sleep, please make sure you are running the latest driver.

If you moved back from S3 to S0ix, enabling S0ix for the Nvidia driver might help, I can give you better instructions later today, but for now I will give you this link:

https://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/525.89.02/README/powermanagement.html

You ideally should report those to the KDE devs.

I can’t give you proper guidance on how to do it right now, but might be able to later today.

You may be able to pipe the output of each of those to fpaste then post the links it provides here.

I can try to install the latest drivers to see if it helps. I made a separate topic as I need to ensure that I can safely downgrade again.

I’m definitely staying on S3, there has been a clear improvement in Sleep success rates. Over the past 3 or so days, I estimate the success rate to be 80% vs 25% previously, of which 99% were soft failures (as described earlier). I only had a hard freeze once.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped thus far :grinning:

I updated to the latest Nvidia drivers successfully. The driver appears to be stable for now, will update again after some days of usage.

A big thank you to everyone who has helped out big or small, seems like updating the Nvidia drivers was the last key to getting Suspend reliability back. I’ve had a 100% Suspend success rate for the past week.

Logout is still broken but it doesnt affect my workflow directly so I’m okay with it. This has been a messy topic covering many areas, I’ll probably create a new topic for Logout if necessary. For now, thank you again!

1 Like