Strategies to improve stability with Fedora

So, I’m a beginner with Linux desktop and for several reasons I seem to like Fedora’s philosophy/community much more than that of other distros.

For the main PC I use for work (web dev), however, stability kind of concerns me. I wouldn’t be comfortable, for example, with the risk of “audio not working” or “Microsoft teams not working” before an important meeting. These kind of problems did not happen to me so far, but they are certainly more likely in a cutting edge setting.

I’ve been thinking about

(1) always using fedora N-1, i.e installing 33 now that 34 is released (not sure how much this would help, since packages would still be updated quickly, I guess)

(2) only updating important packages when I have time to troubleshoot, such as weekends. Not sure if this could backfire and I would run into too many problems by postponing updates for a week or two, for example

Do any (both?) of these make sense? Any other tips? I’m aware there is a trade off, but I’m not particularly concerned with always having the latest packages, so I would lean more on stability.

2 Likes

I would recommend you have a look at Silverblue, its immutable nature and easy to rollback provide excellent stability.

4 Likes

I recommend the following approach for balance between features and stability:

• Install important security updates ASAP.
  • Install bugfix/feature updates in your spare time.
  • Delay upgrading to a new release for about a month.
6 Likes

Take a look at dnf history in case you need to roll things back.

+1 to @vgaetera’s post

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.