Steam fails to launch games with Proton because of Python error

The title probably won’t give all the context, so here’s some:

I’m using a dual-boot configuration with Windows installed, with Grub2 from Fedora used as my primary boot loader. I’ve installed NVIDIA video drivers from RPMFusion and configured Secure Boot.

I’ve installed Steam from the Flathub and mounted my external exFAT partition as I wanted to share my games storage with Windows. the fstab file looks like this:

/dev/disk/by-uuid/D2D0-A558 /mnt/shared auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,exec,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

I’ve configured Flatpak to allow Steam to access the mounted disk and added the folder to my library. However the problem is, whenever I try to run the game installed inside that disk Steam silently fails to launch the game and logs this to the console:

GameAction [AppID 914800, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
GameAction [AppID 914800, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
GameAction [AppID 914800, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
GameAction [AppID 914800, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 914800, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction [AppID 914800, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
/bin/sh\0-c\0/home/[REDACTED]/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=914800 -- '/app/share/steam/compatibilitytools.d/Proton'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/mnt/shared/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Coffee Talk/CoffeeTalk.exe'\0
Game process added : AppID 914800 "/home/[REDACTED]/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=914800 -- '/app/share/steam/compatibilitytools.d/Proton'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/mnt/shared/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Coffee Talk/CoffeeTalk.exe'", ProcID 1008, IP 0.0.0.0:0
chdir /mnt/shared/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Coffee Talk
GameAction [AppID 914800, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/[REDACTED]/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
GameAction [AppID 914800, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/[REDACTED]/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/[REDACTED]/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
Proton: Upgrading prefix from None to 7.0-100 (/mnt/shared/SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata/914800/)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/app/share/steam/compatibilitytools.d/Proton/proton", line 1501, in <module>
    g_session.init_session(sys.argv[1] != "runinprefix")
  File "/app/share/steam/compatibilitytools.d/Proton/proton", line 1302, in init_session
    g_compatdata.setup_prefix()
  File "/app/share/steam/compatibilitytools.d/Proton/proton", line 780, in setup_prefix
    self.migrate_user_paths()
  File "/app/share/steam/compatibilitytools.d/Proton/proton", line 758, in migrate_user_paths
    os.symlink(src=link, dst=old)
PermissionError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '../AppData/Local' -> '/mnt/shared/SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata/914800/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Local Settings/Application Data'
Game process removed: AppID 914800 "/home/[REDACTED]/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=914800 -- '/app/share/steam/compatibilitytools.d/Proton'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/mnt/shared/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Coffee Talk/CoffeeTalk.exe'", ProcID 1008 
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 1009

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Any clues that might help is also welcome.

Using Steam from RPMFusion had no luck:

GameAction [AppID 914800, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/basix/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/basix/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/basix/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
GameAction [AppID 914800, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
pid 91543 != 91540, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)
pressure-vessel-wrap[91540]: W: Unable to create hard link "/mnt/shared/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier/var/tmp-SILMS1/usr/./manifest.dpkg" to "/mnt/shared/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier/soldier_platform_0.20220919.0/files/./manifest.dpkg": Operation not permitted
pressure-vessel-wrap[91540]: W: Falling back to copying, but this will take more time and disk space.
pressure-vessel-wrap[91540]: W: For best results, "/mnt/shared/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier/soldier_platform_0.20220919.0/files" and "/mnt/shared/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier/var/tmp-SILMS1/usr" should both be on the same fully-featured Linux filesystem.
pressure-vessel:ERROR:../subprojects/libglnx/glnx-local-alloc.h:74:glnx_close_fd: assertion failed: (errno != EBADF)
Game process removed: AppID 914800 "/home/basix/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=914800 -- '/mnt/shared/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/mnt/shared/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Proton 7.0'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/mnt/shared/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Coffee Talk/CoffeeTalk.exe'", ProcID 91539 
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 91541

Welcome to ask.fedora @rtyu1120

Please give us more info as:
inxi -Fzx and post it here as preformated text.

The issue is from proton itself.

Proton prefixes need symlinks to work but they don’t work on exfat drives.

One sollution is to move all games from the drive and formatting it as NTFS and then moving them back onto the drive. Thus you can still use it with both Windows and Linux.

1 Like