So.... what domains should we use for our matrix server?

We basically have two things to choose here: the homeserver domain and the client name. The latter I think is easy: chat.fedoraproject.org. That mirrors this site’s discussion.fedoraproject.org. The other thing is the address that people will show as coming from on the Matrix network, and we basically have two options here:

1. fedoraproject.org (which will result in names like @mattdm:fedoraproject.org)
  2. fedora.im (so, @mattdm:fedora.im)

The former is kind of a two-edged sword: on the positive sharp side, it’s nice to give proud Fedoreans clearly Fedora-associated names. But the negative side is that since we want it to be easy for people to sign up and communicate … maybe we actually want a little bit of distance (while still clearly using the Fedora name). What do you all think?

9 Likes

FWIW, my vote is fedoraproject.org. I don’t want any doubt about whose server I’m connecting to.

4 Likes

Given Matrix use HTTP and web technologies, and since domain used will have a impact on security measures (same origin policy, cookies, etc), I suspect that the decision should at least requires a verification by the Fedora Infra Security officer (eg, @puiterwijk ).

1 Like

IMHO fedoraproject.org is more formal and serious. fedora.im is more modern and trendy
FWIW my brain prefers fedoraproject.org but fedora.im is way more funny

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure we want https://chat.fedoraproject.org for the actual hosted app that people connect to. The real question is over the domain to use for identities.

2 Likes

I would prefer 1. fedoraproject.org

1 Like

I guess I agree that fedora.im is cool and hip, but also could be confusing.
We can however setup fedora.im to it exists and just has the needed static files to allow matrix clients to discover chat.fedoraproject.org / fedoraproject.org. This would allow us to give that out to people or put on signatures/business cards, etc. Or not. :slight_smile:

If we just use fedora.im I’m not sure how many people would be confused… I suspect people would be fine knowing thats the matrix id and many of the other project resources are fedoraproject.org.

In the end, I don’t feel too strongly one way or the other here. It would definitely be good to get @puiterwijk s thoughts on domains.

4 Likes

I understand. When I use other clients, I’d rather enter fedoraproject.org as the homeserver to connect to than fedora.ru. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No one is suggesting fedora.ru ? It’s ‘fedora.im’ as it ‘instant message’ :smile:

But you could use ru instead and say it stands for “rapid updates”! :stuck_out_tongue::joy:

I have a pref for fedora.im, it’s shorter, to-the-point, and less likely to be ellipisized.

Are the usernames the same as FAS acct? Is there a link there?

1 Like

Yes – it will be single-signon with FAS.

2 Likes

It’d be helpful for me to hear what leads you to that preference. :slight_smile:

Well, from my view fedoraproject.org is as mentioned before serious and clear. So, my FAS-ID: andilinux:fedoraproject.org

For new users, but I guess even long-term users of Fedora and in the community the fancy “fedora.im” may not be convincing or irritating. But just my opinion :wink:

2 Likes

We need a decision here quickly because this choice is one of the top blockers now (which is good news!). For what it’s worth, I’m pretty much set on https://chat.fedoraproject.org/ as the web interface (we can probably also make fedora.im redirect), and am strongly leaning towards fedora.im as the homeserver, because I want to lessen the implied endorsement when such an address is seen elsewhere on the matrix network. That is, just because you’re coming from our server doesn’t mean that everything you say is Fedora Project Official. Plus also it’s cool and short.

6 Likes

From a security point of view, there’s no difference which domain we use for identities (fedoraproject.org or fedora.im): the way this is resolved is by the client requesting https://$domain/.well-known/matrix/client and by other servers by requesting https://$domain/.well-known/matrix/server.
After this, the actual application protocols are performed via chat.fedoraproject.org.
These files could be put on the main domain without any problem, as they’re just static files.

3 Likes

Yea, I agree to your view and explanation @mattdm
If we can do this like you propose and split a) https://chat.fedoraproject.org/ as web interface and b) the shorten fancy/funny fedora.im , then IMHO you have my support! :100:

2 Likes

From a personal perspective, I’m kind of leaning towards fedora.im as identity domain (i.e. @puiterwijk:fedora.im).
Otherwise people can easily have a @username:fedoraproject.org Matrix identity without having a username@fedoraproject.org email address, since we only give the email alias to CLA+1, and I am guessing we want the Matrix server for everyone with a FAS account (do we?) to involve to-be-contributors in communications.
I think that that could be somewhat confusing.

6 Likes

Patrick, yes, that’s an excellent point with CLA+1 and email accounts.

So let’s consider this decided. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@puiterwijk

Really good!!! +1

1 Like