Snaps no longer functioning due to default to `/var/home/<user>`

It seems that for new Silverblue installs, snaps no longer work. I’m inferring from the error message that as of Fedora 31 Silverblue the home-directory defaults to path /var/home/<user>, instead of /home/<user>. snap seems to pick up on that. Not even the Snap-store runs anymore.

$ snap run snap-store
WARNING: cgroup v2 is not fully supported yet, proceeding with partial confinement
Sorry, home directories outside of /home are not currently supported.
See https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/11209 for details.

Can anyone confirm this is indeed a general issue, instead of something specific on my machine? Any ideas if there is a standard way of fixing this? (Obviously, it’s better to fix this on the snap-side, but I am also wondering if there is a trivial setting that may resolve/work-around this for now.)

I guess you could try editing your home directory location to be /home/ rather than /var/home/, but Snap from what I was reading has issues with symlinks (how an application can have issues with a 40 year old feature is a mystery in itself).

Snaps on Silverblue are a pretty bad experience so the only thing I’d suggest that would work is trying to get a native or Flatpak package for the same applications.

Yeah, I was thinking about changing the home-directory location, but I still have to figure out where I do this.
Indeed, the experience is far from ideal.

sudo usermod $USER -d /home/whatever

But I personally wouldn’t, to avoid potentially breaking anything.

Right, thanks! I’ll try it out on an experimental machine.

Today, I released four snaps. For testing purposes, I had to set up an Ubuntu virtual machine. I suppose that this may depend more on Canonical than on the Fedora Team but… is there any chance that snapd will be supported on Silverblue in the future?