Slow Elontech TrackPoint, tried adding udev rules and now I can't revert to original settings?

The TrackPoint on my Lenovo E495 has always been to slow and I have never found a way to increase the sensitivity / speed. After starting with a fresh Fedora 35 install today, I decided to investigate.

I messed around with adding rules to /etc/udev/rules.d/ to change the driver / protocol of the TrackPad. This worked in the sense that the rules where applied (changed protocol to psmouse).

The problem is that when I remove the rule from /rules.d/ and reboot, it does not revert back to the elontech driver / protocol that I started out with!

I guess the rules have overwritten/added something somewhere that has made these rules permanent?

My Elontech TrackPad attributes used to be located at /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2, but the serio2 folder is completely gone and serio1 is now a generic Synaptics Touchpad.

I’m not that familiar with how udev works, so if anyone could provide me with some insight into why removing the custom rules is not enough to revert my changes, I would be very grateful!

PS: I’m using libinput list-devices to check which driver / protocol is used.

EDIT: This is one of the rules that I tried and that made an irreversible change: SUBSYSTEM=="serio", DRIVERS=="psmouse", ATTR{protocol}=="TPPS/2", ATTR{protocol}="bare"

Ok, I found out that the permanence was caused by a boot option in SYSLINUX. When I removed it, the Elantech Trackpoint/pad returned :+1:

1 Like