[Silverblue Prerelease 34] Cannot log in using password: “fingerprint authentication didn't work”

I upgraded to Silverblue 34 (prerelease) but I wasn’t able to log in.

As soon as I select my username on the login screen, it automatically says “Sorry, fingerprint authentication didn’t work. Please try again.” After a few seconds this message automatically disappears, reappears and wobbles. After doing this 3 times I’m sent back to the list of users. There is no time for me to type my password.

My laptop is a Thinkpad X230. It has a fingerprint reader, but I have never used a fingerprint to log in and I don’t want to.

Is anyone else seeing this bug in Silverblue 34?

4 Likes

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1937308

Are you have the same issue?

I rebase from 33 to 34. My user has finger print enrolled.

At GDM, the finger print logon always fail, while at tty, finger print login is OK for me.

But I can type in password. But I have two users listed in the GDM screen. Not sure if it makes any difference or not.

I saw this is when first upgrading to Workstation 34, but as soon as I rebooted once, the issue went away.

1 Like

Thanks for that. A bug report linked from that one — 1933520 – gdm login stuck in fingerprint authentication loop — seems to describe what I’m seeing.

I tried rebooting but still saw the bug.

That bug report says the bug should be fixed by authselect-1.2.2-6.fc34 — but that’s the version where I’m seeing the bug. (I confirmed this by dropping to a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+F2, logging in there, and running rpm -q authselect.)

I’ve commented on the bug report, so hopefully we can work out what’s still triggering the bug.

3 Likes

Is there a workaround for this issue now?

2 Likes

I found a possible workaround in BZ#1933520 that worked for me

Change the entry for pam_fprintd.so in /etc/pam.d/fingerprint-auth like so:

$ head /etc/pam.d/fingerprint-auth
#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
# User changes will be destroyed the next time authselect is run.
auth        required      pam_env.so
# https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1933520#c41
#auth        sufficient    pam_fprintd.so
auth        [success=done default=bad]	pam_fprintd.so
auth        required      pam_deny.so

account     required      pam_unix.so

thanks, that worked. strangely, just commenting out the fprintd line didn’t fix the issue.