Silverblue installation to GNOME Boxes or VirtualBox hangs during Writing objects

I need a virtual system with Fedora Silverblue to test something. I downloaded the x86_64 iso from Fedora Silverblue | The Fedora Project – happens with both Fedora-Silverblue-ostree-x86_64-39-1.5.iso as well as with Fedora-Silverblue-ostree-x86_64-40_Beta-1.10.iso.

When I boot the iso via GNOME Boxes or VirtualBox, I get to the installation phase and it hangs here when Writing objects:

The spinner spins, but the progress bar does not move.

gnome-boxes-45.0-1.fc39.x86_64
libvirt-9.7.0-2.fc39.x86_64 or libvirt-9.7.0-3.fc39.x86_64 (happens with both)
VirtualBox-7.0.14-1.fc39.x86_64

What am I doing wrong?

Removed gnome

Apparently, it just takes a while and I’ve not been patient enough.

1 Like

It’s an unfortunate effect of the current implementation that does not know how much there is to write ahead of time.

Is there some indication to the user that work is happening? Not knowing is what leads people to “Hard Power off” their systems which appear to be hung. If not, I think this is a reasonable feature to ask of the installer, is it not?

1 Like

If at least the thing said Writing objects (abcd1234) and the hash or ID or whatever was changing, I’d know it is not stuck.

2 Likes

Yes, this is a known issue in Anaconda but I can’t find the installer issue right now.

1 Like