I just started a silverblue installation in a kvm.
First, downloading an .iso with a immutable root that needs to be updated right after is not realy cool. The good thing is that rpm-ostree update is quite fast. But the installation was way slower than a ubuntu installation. Why is that ?
I would have a few suggestions for a better install :
- Small .iso that download latest rpm-ostree from internet.
- Choice of multiple rpm-ostree base template : minimal, devel, full, custom?
- Pass list of applications to install by default in layering mode from the install
- Have a list to select most used applications, pass a url with a list…
- I always install htop, p7zip, …
- Pass an ansible installation script from the installer …
- Enable auto-updates from installer
So on first reboot after install, have latest ostree and don’t need to reboot.
Also, I feel that Silverblue is less responsive in qemu than ubuntu cosmic. I wanted to install phoronix test suite to benchmark but will have to run the docker version and not sure how to do it on Silverblue.
I do look forward to use Silverblue more. I think this will be a great way to manage corporate Linux workstation.