"Share your screen day" planning

As part of the activities to bring back the Marketing team, I propose to have a “Share your screen day”:

Objective

• To have a day where people can share screenshots of their Fedora Linux installations.
  • To share and comment with Fedora Users, not only contributors
  • To gather more people to work with the Marketing team

Ideas

• Place:
    • Reddit
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    • discussion.fp.o
    • Discord
  • Publicity:
    • Fedora Magazine
    • Fedora CommBlog
    • Reddit
    • Discord
    • Twitter
    • discussion.fp.o
    • Discord
    • Podcast (take advantage of DLN)
  • Policies
    • Not to show personal information
    • Not to show proprietary software
3 Likes

I’d say Reddit or the Forum are poor choices for an event like this, as centralizing it on a Reddit thread would require everyone to go clicking links to imgur to see the images, as reddit comments don’t allow for the posting of images, and the Forum is not well suited for a stream of images either.
While Instagram or Twitter would serve this purpose well, chat platforms would likely make the stream of desktop images flow much more fluently, as users don’t need to constantly refresh a webpage to get new images, making Discord the most relevant option here.

That being said, since one of the policies is to not show proprietary software, it’s kind of pointless for this to take place at a proprietary platform, in my opinion. A few months ago, the Fedora Homeserver on Matrix was announced, and it’s been growing ever since. Having the event take place there has the potential to grow this emerging platform even further, and since Fedora’s presence on Matrix is already neatly organized into Spaces, and everything is well-moderated, it wouldn’t be that much of a hassle to set everything up.

2 Likes

I recognize the irony is a “no proprietary apps” rule as we post to proprietary platforms. That said, it really depends on what the goal is. Do we want to reach the people we’re already reaching or do we want to reach new people? If the goal is to reach new people, then doing it on our Matrix server doesn’t get us very far. Meeting the people where they are is what will, and “where they are” is largely Twitter, Instagram, etc.

in particular, those platforms make it very easy for participants to share it to their entire network, building engagement. If we use a #FedoraShareYourScreen hashtag, it’s easy to search, people don’t have to participate in real time, and we get views we’d never have gotten otherwise. Think about how quickly Wordle has become popular because of the social sharing.

Everything up there are IDEAS, including the policies, so the “don’t show proprietary apps” can be not listed. As @sigmasquadron said, a chat platform could serve well for the flow, but I think is harder to follow and Discord is not public, as well as chat.fp.o (in the way that you need to have an account even for only see)

Now, my idea is to reach the world, so Instagram and Twitter make sense, and using hashtags as suggested by @bcotton makes sense, but also I would like to timeframe it (I have the tendency to create words, sorry it’s a new bad habit) into a day or week.

So, that said, and taking both ideas into account here is a new proposal:

ShareYourScreenWeek

• Share your screen with us! Using the hashtag #Fedora35ShareYourScreen and mentioning @fedora on twitter or @thefedoraproject on instagram, we can comment and share our Fedora Linux experience. Avoid showing proprietary software and personal and private info

wdyt?

1 Like

I like the idea of timeboxing it. Maybe one week? Or a weekend?

I’d drop the 35 from the hashtag because it doesn’t add anything. We’d accept pictures of F34 desktops, after all. And depending on when we want to time it, it might be fun to do the week after the release, in which case, we’d hope for a lot of F36 pictures.

I was thinking on week (that’s why I called ShareYourScreenWeek. The 35 idea was to probably make it repeatable on time and avoid the policy about repeating Trending Topics (why not? Maybe we can reach a TT). Any idea on the naming of the hashtag to achieve that?

I’m not sure which policy you’re referring to, but I don’t see a reason we’d need to have the hashtag be unique. Plenty of regular events use the same hashtag each time. This is arguably a good thing because it 1. keeps hashtags shorter and 2. makes it easier to find old content.

I would like to suggest Mastodon (the fediverse).

1 Like

Agreed in adding mastodon, but not sure if there is an offical mastodon account.

2 Likes

I was referring to a policy that trends couldn’t be trend again after the trending die. Not sure if that’s a thing anymore, I’m probably wrong because I can’t find info about it now. I agree with your 2 reasons too.

You raise excellent points, and I do belive Twitter and Instagram would be the best way to reach new people outside of Fedora. That being said, it could also wall people who only use Free Software out, as the masses are unfortunately centralized in proprietary platforms.

Unfortunately, that’s a tradeoff that will need to happen in order to better promote Fedora. I support the idea of using a Twitter or Instagram hashtag to for the Share Your Screen Week.

We don’t have an official mastodon account.
BTW, I foster the idea that people could use the platform they want. The platform they are active on, and not limiting the event to twitter and instagram.

1 Like

That’s a sacrifice that I’m willing to make (using Twitter or Instagram), I agree with (I proposed it a long time ago) “to be where people are”, and those are big known platforms that are free to use, and while people can follow a policy (for their own good) to not show personal information, I’m ok with it.

Sure they can publish whenever they want, but to be able to interact with as much people as we can, we need to concentrate efforts. I think more than 2 platforms is too much.

Also, I was thinking in having a showcase, I mean, gather all shares and put it in a post, probably in the magazine. This will serve as incentive to the people, apart of interact with contributors. wdyt?

1 Like

I know this may be an unpopular opinion here but I think sharing proprietary application images should be allowed. It shows to potential new users that they can run the apps that they want to use on Fedora Linux.

2 Likes

Make sense.

2 Likes

Share your screen week will be executed on First week of February:

• Start publication and post on January 29th
  • Start marketing on Social Media on January 31st and posting twice a day on non-official accounts (my personal account)
  • Publish Magazine Article on January 31st.
  • Collect screenshots on February 7th and share it in a YouTube video (In a slide show).
  • Publish Video on YouTube on February 10th.
  • Chosen hashtag: #FedoraShareYourScreen

My idea is to make this repetitive near the end of each release. Why? Because customization on Look&Feel tend to happen on the first and second week, but if anything else is tweaked it won’t be reflected on those 2 weeks, near the end, the customization would be already in place for most people.

Agreed with plan and timing?
  • No
  • Yes

0 voters

Do you already have a text for the announcement?

On it right now, but if you want to help I need the tweet content, I’m working in the magazine announcement

What about adding family friendly pictures to the policy?

1 Like