SB - PulseAudio problems - uninstall (again)?

People,

Audio has been a problem on Linux from the beginning and I have never had any success with PA on Fedora from the time it became the standard and have always had to uninstall it (usually just renaming the PA conf or binary files) and just use ALSA - which suited me anyway because at least I could work what was going on when problem-solving etc.

This SB install followed a similar pattern with a slight difference - I did have sound on Chrome and with mpv - immediately after the install but even at full volume the sound was low - so I started looking at the Settings - Sound section and now I have no sound at all !

• The sound volume icon at the top-right on the status bar is showing at 100%.

On Settings Sound:

• System Volume is at 100% but there is a little cross on the speaker icon which can’t be clicked off.
  • Volume Levels - System Sounds is at 100% but there is a little cross on the speaker icon which can’t be clicked off.
  • I think when I first opened up the Sound dialog box that the Output Device field was empty, but after clicking on it, only “Digital Output (S/PDIF) - Built-in Audio” is displayed now and can’t be changed.

Are there suggestions about fixing the PA problem?

I would prefer to just uninstall PA again and just use ALSA in my traditional way - but how to do this with SB?

Thanks,
Phil.