Satellite Pro C660 won't boot after install

I did a completely clean install of Fedora Workstation 40, everything removed/deleted with partition managers, did the install on my Toshiba Satellite Pro C660. But when I restart it to finish the install, it fails to boot, grub fail??? How do we fix this? By the way, the laptop would not recognise the USB memory stick I created with Fedora Media Writer, so I had to install via DVD I burned. I have been having this problem since versions/Workstation 38, but I need to use the laptop now, so need a fix!

1 Like

We can’t help without more details. I think this is a very old (ca 2010) system, so the level of trust that all hardware components are working properly is low, but since the installer works there is a possibility that it can run Fedora 40. The USB issue may be some deeper hardware problem that affects more than just the USB ports.

• the installer has memtest86+. You should run this overnight for a thorough test
  • have you upgraded the mass storage? (the installer runs from a RAM image, so doesn’t use mass storage to boot)
  • what was the last OS that booted successfully?
  • do you have another OS installed or is Fedora the only OS you plan to use?

Please provide details (take a picture of the screen). We need to know if grub isn’t loading or there is a problem loading the linux kernel. If the boot allows you to enter the grub editor (try pressing while booting) you can edit the command line to remove rhgb quiet so you can see errors loading the kernel.

There are currently bargain prices for “enterprise” grade laptops that don’t (officially) support Windows 11. My experience with systems over 10 years old is that things start to break and take more of my time to fix or workaround than they are worth.

1 Like

TOSHIBA
Model Name: Satellite Pro C660-1T0
Part No. PSCORE-01D01MEN
It has an 256GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD installed, that replaced the 320GB HDD that came with it, and 8GB (2x4GB dual channel kit) of Corsair 1600MHz CL9 memory which replaced the 4GB single stick that came with it. Both Windows 7 Pro, and Windows 10 Pro install and work as they should, but obviously I don’t want to use Microsoft garbage, who in their right mind would! Fedora 37 was the last Fedora I was able to boot before this problem started. I had use Fedora 35, 36 and 37 all on this same laptop before this problem started.

1 Like

So, by fail do you mean it gets past the POST of the laptop, then hangs with a black screen? Or is there an indication something is going on?
Do you see a Fedora Logo at the bottom at any point? You shouldn’t see the grub menu automatically at first boot, so if it isn’t appearing that is normal. Can you try to boot it again? At the black screen or hung screen press <Esc> to see if you can get a text representation of the boot process. If it is hanging on waiting for something try <Ctrl><Alt><F2>to get a tty to login to.

1 Like

The option to enter the BIOS/Boot menu flashes by very quickly as you know obviously, but it completed the install, and as you know, to fully complete the install you have to restart the computer before you are able to set up the OS for use, it asks you for your user name password etc. But it didn’t get that far, it flashed up very quick, almost to quick to read, grub fail. Then it entered to Boot menu with the message Samsung 860 Pro 256GB Failed. I took pictures with my phone. The SSD is not failed, because other operating systems will install on it without removing from the laptop.

1 Like

Samsung 860 had problems with certain controllers. With hardware older than 10 years I have encountered issues where a previous workaround was accidentally broken in a new kernel. Linux developers tend to use newer hardware, so it is up to users to discover such regressions and file bug reports. In some cases you may get “will not fix” as the workaround affects performance with newer hardware.

Some of my old (and now recycled) systems needed several attempts to get the grub2 menu due to a very short window for recognizing the escape key.

Is it possible to retry with the usb stick you have? Maybe try one of the spins or the Everything Installer

Also try these things,

If possible upload your screenshots/pictures so we can get a representation of what’s happening.

The Everything installer is the most up to date and the most customizeable install. But for testing, this might do the trick !

When I try to boot with Fedora 40 installed on the SSD it always goes to the F12 boot menu with the message Samsung 860 Pro 256GB failed. I am new to this, this is the first time I have used this discussion, where can I upload the screenshots/phone pictures?

There are “buttons” or “icons” across the top line of the text entry panel. If you “hover” the cursor over them you get a short description. The 9th from the left looks like a picture and is described as “upload”. Pictures can be very helpful for problems with non-booting systems as every vendor’s BIOS/UEFI firmware is different.

There are many similar reports for your model and other SSD models and linux distros.
Quoting: Toshiba Satellite Pro C660-22X is not compatible with Linux?:

I am pretty sure that this machine is legacy boot only. I could be wrong.

The fact that the manual partition asked you to add a bios boot partition in addition to uefi is the giveaway. You cannot use a gpt partition table on a legacy boot system without the bios boot partition.

So I did a clean install of Fedora 35 because I had an old disc that I found. It installed fine but the updater told me I had to update because 35 was no longer supported, and it offered me to update to 37, which I did. So it runs fine (Firefox is only 120), it boots with no problems, and is now offering me to update to 39, but obviously I don’t want to accept 39 because I know it won’t boot if I do because the driver for the SATA Controller has been broken from 38 onwards.

You can install Firefox in a Flatpak and get the latest one. . .

Although

If this is a bug, You should report it. Red Hat Bugzilla Main Page

The issue is not linux, it is the design of the old SATA controller that doesn’t properly implement the SATA protocol. Linux has had many workarounds for such defects in elderly hardware, but workarounds tend to be removed at some point when a new kernel is released. In some cases the workarounds are inadvertently broken in new kernels and a bug report is needed to alert developers to the issue.