Rpmfusion Hardware Accelerated Codec

Hello all,
Could someone explain the differences on the below?
Are the recent and older referring to packages or Intel CPUs?

Screenshot from 2024-05-16 12-21-54

1 Like

This is a great question. To add to this, I want to know why the more recent driver is non-free.

This seems to be the repository for intel-media-driver: GitHub - intel/media-driver: Intel Graphics Media Driver to support hardware decode, encode and video processing.

The “recent” wording almost certainly refers to the CPUs. You can see what CPUs are supported by the newer driver here: GitHub - intel/media-driver: Intel Graphics Media Driver to support hardware decode, encode and video processing.

It’s probably unlikely you’re using a CPU with an architecture older than Broadwell, which was introduced in 2014.

As for the “non-free” part:

Media driver supports below two builds

• Full Feature Build is default driver build, which supports all feature by hardware accelerator and close source shaders(media kernel binaries). Most of OSVs(like RHEL/SUSE/fedora) are using this build.
  • Free Kernel Build, enables fully open source shaders(media kernels) and hardware features but the features would be limited.

So it seems RPM Fusion uses the Full Feature Build.

I would guess the intel-media-driver is not free due to supporting codecs and possibly other code that does not fit into the fedora ecosystem.

Free and nonfree when related to the rpmfusion repos AFAIK only applies to whether they are free of restricted software or not.

It is my understanding that the free repo includes software that was not included in the fedora repos but could have been and that the nonfree repo includes software that is restricted from fedora distribution due to content.

1 Like

Thank you, that was informative!
As per the below, I think I should use the old, correct?

Screenshot from 2024-05-16 19-26-57

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/76308/intel-core-i5-4300u-processor-3m-cache-up-to-2-90-ghz.html

Yep, try the older one.

1 Like

Besides, I guess when you install both drivers, VAAPI checks both and selects the one that works. In my case “vainfo” command says:

Trying display: wayland
libva info: VA-API version 1.20.0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_20
libva error: /usr/lib64/dri/iHD_drv_video.so init failed
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 1
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_19
failed to open /usr/lib64/dri/hybrid_drv_video.so
Not using hybrid_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.20 (libva 2.20.1)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) CherryView - 2.4.0.pre1 (2.4.0.pre1)

Out of curiosity I tried even the “hybrid driver” and somehow it worked but I was having issues with Youtube videos.

1 Like