Rpi-imager: cannot mount SD card with default permissions

I maintain the rpi-imager package and it isn’t able to flash SD cards without extra manually added permissions. When adding yourself to the disk group I can flash ISOs, but this is not really a proper solution I suppose. It may be better to have a specific udev(?) rule or something to allow this app to mount and write to SD cards? In Ubuntu it is reported to work just fine. I don’t see any udev or polkit files for the Ubuntu package. What could be missing here? The rpi-imager devs only reply with “it works on Ubuntu” when asked for help.

Fedora 35 is very old. Is there a reason you are not running a supported version of fedora?

I have used arm-image-installer to write sd cards for rpi 3 and rpi 4.
See Fedora on Raspberry Pi :: Fedora Docs

The bug is happening at least since F35 and persists to the current rpi-imager-1.8.1-1.fc38.x86_64 version. This is the official flash tool for the Raspberry Pi OS and I also ask specifically about this tool because I maintain the package for Fedora and it’s not working properly out of the box.

Can anyone please else provide some insight to this? The Fedora media writer for example has no issues doing this job. The only difference I see is that they use udisks1, while the rpi-imager uses udisks2. What could be missing for the rpi-imager Fedora package to make this mounting to seemingly?

I have never had an issue using the arm-image-installer. I first make certain the image I am using is the .raw.xz file, then I create my command like this.
sudo arm-image-installer --image=<filename>.raw.xz --media=/dev/sde --resizefs --target=rpi4 -y where sde is the name assigned to the sd card being written, the device for which the image is being written is an rpi4, and I do not wish to respond to the normal prompts but let it run automatically. The file system is expanded to fill the fulll size of the sd card (except for images that use an xfs file system)

You are looking for someone to debug the rpi-imager?

This thread is created in the context of package maintenance, not the use of the software itself :wink: Something is missing in the rpi-imager package (which I maintain) to enable a seamless user experience. You’re using sudo by the way, rpi-imager should work as a normal user, like the Fedora media writer does.

@barryascott, yes, maybe someone can see what I’m missing to enable a user friendly experience on Fedora.

Ok. I will test rpi-imager as packaged and let you know what I see.

rpi-imager works as I would expect, after filling in details it prompts for my password and then writes the image.

This is the same as mediawriter works.

What is it that you think is wrong?

Interesting, I guess I have to try it on my old PC when I visit the new owner. It’s not working for me since I switched fully to my laptop with a builtin card reader. So maybe the different hardware layout triggers an incomplete permission model or maybe it’s a hardware fault, I really don’t know.

I now have the :00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS525A PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01). It worked fine with my card reader on my desktop, which wasn’t PCIe based. There are also other people complaining about permissions on Github, I’ll ask them what kind of hardware they have.

But still, the Fedora media writer works without issues…