Rhgb & quiet not present on fresh install of Fedora 40 | Post Install Black Screen

A New User experienced a Black Screen post fresh install of Fedora 40.

I guided the user to the Grub menu and proceeded to edit the command line by removing the rhgb quiet. The user claims that rhgb was not present, so instead added it to the command line.

Does this typically happen on a fresh install ? I don’t recall such issues before where one or the other is missing :thinking:

Should a bug be reported ?

On one of my VMs with F40 Workstation (fresh install, not an upgrade from previous release), this is how my grub entry looks like for the latest kernel:

load_video set gfxpayload=keep
insmod gzio
linux (Sroot) /umlinuz-6.9.5-200.fc40.aarch64 root=UUID=<…> ro rootflags=subvol=root rhgb quiet 
initrd (Sroot) /initramfs-6.9.5-200.fc40.aarch64.img

So rhgb quiet is there.

1 Like

If you install the same spin as he is running and it does put the rhgb in the command line then he seems mistaken.

I have never done a clean install of fedora with any of the recent versions (back to somewhere before 26) and not had the ‘rhgb quiet’ appear in the kernel command line with grub.

It often is the only thing on the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= line in /etc/default/grub.

1 Like

I found it strange, as he said he was new to linux and didn’t know what to do, so I dismiss any prior involvement with those parameters. Obviously I’ll do some testing. We have had some Black Screen issues recently, but this seems unrelated.