[Review & Publish] Meetbot Logs 2.0 is Out Now

Hello,

We have the new Meetbot Logs in the production infrastructure environment now.

I have created the draft on commblog.

https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/wp-admin/post.php?post=11191&action=edit

Title

Meetbot Logs 2.0 is Out Now

Content

The Meetbot Logs (or Mote) is a project, that I started working on years ago with Justin W. Flory, Nasir Hussain and Ramya Parimi - way before the time when Fedora Websites and Apps Revamp was even a Fedora Council objective. Dedicating some time out of our schedule, we convened weekly over a Jitsi Call to discuss the requirements, implement features on the code and document everything. Some notable changes like obsolescence of Memcached, the introduction of Pipenv for dependency management, fixes related to frontend theming and addition of a documentation toolchain, were made. Unfortunately, we could not quite make the dent we were intending to make back then, and the work on the project stagnated, when we got occupied in our lives and were unable to make it to the meetings or complete tasks regularly.

Fast forward to the third quarter of 2021, I started looking into the project again - all while reaching out to those who worked on developing the project like Ralph Bean and Chaoyi Zha for guidance on the code sections which required additional assistance. It took some time and effort to conclude that it would probably be the best if the project started with a clean slate, using technologies and paradigms that are more featured and expansive than to trudge along with those that were ageing. That led to me, starting a functional rewrite of the project from the ground-up, called Fragment and proposing the rewrite as a mentoring project for the Winter 2022 cohort of Outreachy, thanks to Vipul Siddharth's assistance.

The changes in the initial version of the rewrite, like those listed below, had a positive reception from the contributors, both within the Fedora Websites and Apps Team as well as from the wider Fedora Project community, and many lauded the rewrite as a welcome change and something which was long due. This version was not perfect by any means, but it did pave the way for more such new changes to be included down the line and for more contributors to participate in its development.

• Asynchronous loading of meeting information and faster searching
  • Curation of meeting logs/summaries links to prevent unsafe characters
  • Modal-based wizard-like navigation for quicker lookup of meetings
  • Exhibiting recent meetings according to days, weeks and months
  • Various quality-of-life changes for both users and contributors

Soon after that, the source code was moved to the repository under the GitHub namespace of Fedora Infra and the team started actively developing the project. Our Outreachy intern, Subhangi Choudhary, and Outreachy mentors, Francois Andrieu and I collaborated regularly to introduce even more new exciting features, with Michael Scherer's and Mairin Duffy's guidance.

• Calendar view for looking up recent meetings by days, weeks and months
  • Dependency management and automation using Poetry and GitHub Actions
  • System theme compliant and uniformly styled dark mode
  • Reworked summary modal with info on attendance, topics and action items
  • Much faster search using caching and indexing mechanism
  • Inclusion of code compliance conformity, quality checks and unit tests

Every time, the representatives of Fedora Websites and Apps Team shared updates during Fedora Linux Release Parties and Nest With Fedora events, about how far we have come with the development and the things that, we plan to do next - the community showered us with their support. The staging infrastructure deployment, which we revealed recently, was also met with a positive reception. It almost felt like this time around we would be able to make the dent, we wanted to make all along. Finally, all the time and effort put into rewriting the project culminated in the final deployment on our production infrastructure environment, which took place around a week back. I extend my gratitude to all those who helped along the way and I cannot wait for you folks to try out our revamped Meetbot Logs webapp!

1 Like

I’m working on edits now. It will need some work. I’ll let you know when it’s done.

@t0xic0der I’ve finished edits. To summarize:

• I wrote a new paragraph to talk about the new release itself. (As general feedback, assume that the reader won’t go past the first paragraph, so try to get the important part in there first)
  • I added headings to help with the readability score
  • I shortened sentences
  • I reduced the use of passive voice

If you’re okay with my edits, I’ll get this scheduled.

@bcotton,

Many thanks for the changes.

I added some small changes here and there but all in all, it looks good to me.

Please feel free to go through the article again before you schedule the same.

Looks good. It’s scheduled for 0800 UTC Thursday (tomorrow)

It’s an incredibly great improvement, without a doubt.

Two observations:

(a)
Before the new version, there were 2 address schemes supported:

One like:
https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teams/fedora-server/fedora-server.2022-05-18-17.00.html

the other with repeating date entries:

Would it be possible to get the former one back?

In an aversion to redundancy, I used the former alternative in the server documentation, which is now unusable.

(b)
The channels seem out of sync somehow or didn’t catch up with the often jumpy development.

In the channel list, there is a “fedora-server” channel, but it list just meeting up to 2016 and one meeting in 2021. Unfortunately, there is some variation in the naming of the meeting. Can the channel categorization take that into account?

The same is true for fedora docs channel. It lists meeting up to 2018, not the current (e.g. Meetbot Logs)

Thanks
Peter

1 Like

I’ll respond in reverse order:
The channel list is about IRC channel, not team name. I’m guessing your meetings take place into fedora-meeting* these days.
If you’re looking for a meeting by Team instead, it’s planned, but not implemented yet.
And once done, we may consider bringing back the teams url from (a).

Please feel free to log this kind of request and bug report on Issues · fedora-infra/mote · GitHub instead.