Reloading OS, suggestions

so I’m all new to Linux and got the OS for experimentation purposes. I’ve read about the practice of snapshots but haven’t started working with it yet. I ran BleachBit as per my habit on Windows to run CCleaner, and by mistake removed some parts of the system. it still works properly but some things are just odd. learnt my lesson!

I was wondering if reinstalling the whole OS would be the best way to go about it and simply start afresh. if so, what’s the best way ‘factory reset’ Fedora?

I’ve seen some recommending to start a new user and others to reinstall the OS on the drive.
I should add that I have nothing important on that disk, it was dedicated to Fedora only. so I’ve got nothing to lose.

thanks for the helpers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Try sudo dnf distro-sync. If journalctl is working it provides enormous detail, which means it may help resolve problems but can take a lot of work to find the relevant details.
As a starter, journalctl -b -p 3 will show “high” (lower number) priority messages. Not all “high priority” messages are real problems – some seem to be a matter of timing and get detected early and then resolved later in the boot process.

1 Like

Yes, that is the best way. We have no clue what bleachbit may have done.

If you have no other OS on the drive as you indicated then simply select to reclaim space and use the whole drive. If you had another OS on the drive then you would need to carefully remove the appropriate partitions before doing the reinstall.

Remember to use only apps that are intended for use with fedora in the future.

2 Likes

thanks, I did that and it’s all back and running.

do you have any tips on keeping the system clean without breaking it?

For the most part install packages only from the fedora or rpmfusion repos. You may want to also install flatpaks from flathub, but I do that very sparingly. (for my system I only have 3 flatpaks total installed)

Any other sources are mostly at your own risk.

Fedora does not use snapd as is used on ubuntu, nor distribute that type of package for a reason. Snapshots are used on some versions, such as silverblue for recovery when there is a problem. Backups of the btrfs file system are also supported and you should read up on how that is done before jumping in.

2 Likes

thank you for the tip.

if you have some trusted resources you’d like to share, I’d be happy!