Reinstallation

I installed Fedora 39 (KDE Plasma spin) from the media writer… a while ago, then put the machine away. Now I discover that not only is there a Fedora 40, but that I had somehow misentered my username (with a Capital letter, which I would rather not have) on the original installation. Apparently, changeing the username elicits some kind of error. I’m just starting to get back into Linux after a decade or so of a hiatus, but I used to regularly FUBAR things such that it was simply easier to reinstall an start over. I do not care about any existing data.

Having downloaded the Fedora 40 media writer, I find I do not know how to do a reinstall from this. I seems like It should be easy, but as before I just put the install CD and booted, I’m all at sea.

From Proposed Common Issues to Ask Fedora

From “root” you would need to change 3 things.

1. vipw and rename the user to your preferred spelling
  2. vigr and rename the grounp to your preferred speling
  3. rename /home/ /home/

I think that is all that is needed to change a user name.

1 Like

Ta.

Sent using the mobile mail app

Hi @jaymie . I’m trying to make sure people understand where to best file new topics. When you created a new topic in Proposed Common Issues , there was this pre-populated template present:

This is NOT a place to report bugs. If you want to discuss a problem, use the Ask category instead:
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/c/ask

Why have you decided to still create it in Proposed Common Issues instead of the suggested Ask Fedora category? Please help me understand your thought process, in order to better phrase the template. Thanks!