Recommendation for Youtube editing software on Fedora?

Hi,

I wonder if someone could recommend an easy to use Youtube editor that runs on Fedora?
Just basic functionality required, such as desktop recording interleaved with webcam…

(((Ideally, would not require installing KDE.)))

Many thanks in advance!

1 Like

The most Important are the follow:

1. Openshot

OpenShot is written in Python and it supports many different audio and video formats and also includes drag-n-drop feature.

Installation of OpenShot

$ sudo dnf install openshot

2. Pitivi

Pitivi is another great free, open source video editing software. It uses Gstreamer framework for importing/exporting and rendering of media.

Installation of Pitivi

$ sudo dnf install pitivi

3. Avidemux

Avidemux is another free open source video editing software. It was originally designed mainly for cutting, filtering and encoding tasks. It is ideal for the afford mentioned tasks, but if you want to do something a bit more complex, you may want to check the rest of the editors in this list.

Installation of Avidemux

$ sudo dnf install avidemux

4. Cinelerra

Cinelerra is a video editor that was released in 2002 and has millions of downloads ever since. It’s designed to be used from both beginners and advanced users. According to developer’s page, CineLerra is designed from artists for artists.

Installation of Cinelerra

For installation of Cinerella, use the instructions provided at official Cineralla installation instructions.

5. Lightworks

Lightworks is a professional video editing tool designed for everyone. It has a free and paid version, both of which are quite feature rich. It has plenty of features that you can use.

Installation of Lightworks

The installation of Lightworsks is completed via .rpm packages that can be downloaded from Lightworks for Linux page.

6. LiVES

LiVES is a video editing system designed to me powerful and yet simple for use. It can be used across multiple platforms and it is expendable via RFX plugins. You can even write your own plugins in Perl, C or C++ or python. Other languages are supported as well.

Installation of LiVES

LiVES is available for download for different Linux operating systems. You can download the appropriate package from LiVES download page.

7. Shotcut

Is another video editor for Linux that can be put in the same league as OpenShot. While it does provide similar features as the other discussed above, Shotcut is a bit advanced with support for 4K videos.

Installing Shotcut

You can get the executable file from its download page.

$ flatpak install flathub org.shotcut.Shotcut

8. Flowblade

Is a multitrack non-linear video editor for Linux. Like the above-discussed ones, this too is a free and open source software. It comes with a stylish and modern user interface.

Written in Python, it is designed to provide a fast, and precise. Flowblade has focused on providing the best possible experience on Linux and other free platforms. So there’s no Windows and OS X version for now. Feels good to be a Linux exclusive.

Installing Flowblade

sudo apt install flowblade

9. VidCutter

Is utterly simple. It doesn’t do much except splitting videos and merging. But at times you just need this and VidCutter gives you just that.

Installing VidCutter

You can get the executable file from its download page.

$ flatpak install flathub com.ozmartians.VidCutter

10. DaVinci Resolve

If you want Hollywood level video editing, use the tool the professionals use in Hollywood. from Blackmagic is what professionals are using for editing movies and tv shows.

DaVinci Resolve is not your regular video editor. It’s a full-fledged editing tool that provides editing, color correction and professional audio post-production in a single application.

DaVinci Resolve is not open source. Like LightWorks, it too provides a free version for Linux.

Installing DaVinci Resolve

You can download DaVinci Resolve for Linux from its website. You’ll have to register, even for the free version.

Conclusion

As you saw above, not exist the best solution, just select one that adjust to your needs and start to use it.

A number of video editors mentioned here use FFmpeg. You can use FFmpeg on your own as well. It’s a command line only tool so I didn’t include it in the main list but it would have been unfair to not mention it at all.

If you need an editor for simply cutting and joining videos, go with VidCutter.

If you need something more than that, OpenShot. This is suitable for beginners and a system with standard specification.

If you have a high-end computer and need advanced features you can go out with Lightworks or DaVinci Resolve .

Visit the product page of each one to view their main features…

NOTE: The Order of the product don’t reflect the importance…

Regards.,

3 Likes

Hi, thanks!

I should probably have framed my question differently, guess I was more looking for a recommended workflow (starting from the actual recording (desktop/webcam/audio).

I think I’ll try following

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6PI8pH2xUs,

and so, I’ve installed OBS + Audacity + KDenlive (yeah so I’ll have KDE but from flatpak).