Randomly internet disconnect in Fedora 37

I am experiencing random disconnect in Fedora 37, both WiFi and wired connection

see the following screenshots

❯ uname -a
Linux fedora 6.0.9-300.fc37.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed Nov 16 17:36:22 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

This is quite irritating, there was not such issue in F36

Sometimes restarting router works for while and disconnects again, I am confident this is OS issue other than with my router and cables.

Can anyone please help!

We do definitely need more info’s like
inxi -n executed in terminal and pasted here as pre-formatted </> text.

I believe you need to install some additional drivers. For this please paste the inxi -n command to see what is installed now.

You may be confident, but experience has shown that cables should never be trusted. I recommend adding your system’s details to the Linux Hardware (LH) database using hw-probe (installed with dnf). To rule in/out Fedora, I suggest running a live USB for another distro where your hardware is shown as working in the LH database.

Random “events” may be due to problems with power supply (maybe for your router). Is the router powered from a UPS?

Have you recently experienced a lightening storm or power surges? I once had a network card that starting glitching. The vendor’s diagnostics said it was fine, but physical inspection revealed fried components. Replacing the card stopped the glitching.

Can you borrow another router from friend/neighbour? I keep a couple old Apple Airport Extremes for troubleshooting – the build is very high quality and they can be found on ebay for under $20 or in the junkbox at local independent Apple dealers.

A bit more history and hardware details would help. Did both network interfaces work with some other OS (Windows, older Fedora, other linus distro)? There may be more detail from journalctl. Do you have other systems that work reliably with the same router?

❯ inxi -n              
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    driver: r8169
  IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: [MAC ADDRESS]

As you can see this does not show the Wifi Adapter

Can you also check lspci -k | grep -i 'ethernet\|network\|wireless' -A3

Thanks

An operating system is a software layer between hardware and apps … you are now down to basic console command utilities on Linux that is reliable … no wifi, then go back to cables, router, …

❯ lspci -k | grep -i 'ethernet\|network\|wireless' -A3
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 200f
	Kernel driver in use: r8169
	Kernel modules: r8169
03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 31)
	Subsystem: AzureWave Device 2b31
	Kernel driver in use: ath10k_pci
	Kernel modules: ath10k_pci
❯ inxi -n 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    driver: r8169
  IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: [MAC]
  Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
    driver: ath10k_pci
  IF: wlp3s0 state: down mac: [MAC]
  IF-ID-1: br-a3ab7001fc87 state: up speed: 10000 Mbps duplex: unknown
    mac: [MAC]
  IF-ID-2: docker0 state: down mac: [MAC]
  IF-ID-3: veth5fd3c42 state: up speed: 10000 Mbps duplex: full
    mac: [MAC]

Now the both interfaces show up, as I said earlier this happens randomly

You can check if the 8168 driver on the Realtek Website is more adequate for your system.
Note, it says till Kernel 5.19. So you might will have to use an older Kernel like the LTS one:

kwizart/kernel-longterm-5.15 Copr

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

You’re probably going to need to look at the logs from where this occurs to see what exactly is going on. https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/viewing-logs/

Because this is random, it might be easier to also just run a terminal in the background and pop over to it when the issue occurs. You could weed it down some with:
journalctl -fk
Following the output of kernel messages (like dmesg)

journalctl -f -u NetworkManager.service
To follow the output from NetworkManager

1 Like