For the past 2 weeks, I’ve experienced random freeze about once per day. When this occurs:
- The entire screen is frozen.
- Cannot even move the mouse pointer
- Cannot switch to another tty Using Ctrl+Alt+F3
- It’s possible to connect on the affected computer using SSH on another computer
htopusing SSH shows a process related to x11 using 100% of 1 CPU
- The affected x11 process doesn’t respond to
SIGKILLdoes shut down the x11 process, and the CPU usage returns to normal, but the screen remains frozen.
sudo rebootreboots the computer but it takes like 2 minutes before it restarts (normally it takes less than 10 seconds)
The freeze don’t seem related to an app in particular. I remember them happening while using Shotcut, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc…
- Fedora 37
- The computer is an Alienware X51 R2 with a Nvidia GTX 1060 graphics card.
- nvidia drivers are installed
- I’m dual booting. The other OS is Windows 10.
Unfortunately, I didn’t think of noting the full name of the x11 process. I’ll update this post when the next freeze occurs.