Quitting apps - shortcuts?

I’ve just come to Fedora from 15 yrs on Mac (party time for me :smiley:)

I used CMD-Q on mac a lot to quit apps, CMD-W to close windows (being a separate thing). Is linux similar in this regard? Or more like Win, where if you close a window it closes the program?

I heard you can use Super-Q to quit apps, Super-H to hide apps etc. I intend to make some custom shortcuts to use ALT as that’s where my CMD key used to be and I worked fast and find that easier than the wrist-stress involved in reaching CTRL!

But it seems inconsistent. Example: I have Signal and Brave browser open. I used Alt-Tab to select Signal, Super-Q quit Signall app completely, ok, that works nice enough. But then I went to Brave and tried the same thing, no workie. I can’t see how to quit Brave without a ‘right’ click on dock icon and selecting Quit. Is there a key combination I am not aware of that would work for both?
Thanks

Close app is often Alt-F4.

Of late I check all my apps for shortcuts, far easier on the hands while working on things than using the mouse. Ctrl + Q works on Firefox and other applications, Ctrl + W for example closes a Tab in FF but also can close an application if set up that way.

Gnome Desktop has a shortcuts panel you will find helpful. If you are really dependant on using them (like on a laptop) you can spawn apps with specific shortcuts as well. Kind of like a tiling Window manager !

Gnome Settings > Keyboard > View and Customize Shortcuts

Windows is pretty cool and is what I think you are looking for :

Navigation is really cool and can help you flow through your apps ( I have many open sometimes. . .)

The unfortunate side effect of Gnomes UI is that things are too hidden, and yu are expected to “just know” what you are looking for ?! Kind of. I like it cause it’s different and smooth to work with. Gnome is not a MS Windows user friendly UI, but Mac users might find it more enjoyable.

i like it cause it’s different !

Thanks for this post because I was today years old when I learned Alt+Esc selects an application within a workspace.
Helpful for me because I already Alt + Tab & Alt + ` all the time and some times I move Browser tabs to a new window and can end up with various browser windows in 1 workspace . it’s a simpler workflow than squinting in Alt menu trying to figure out which is which.

I am really lost. I have heard of Workspaces but no idea what it is, unless its just the fact you can put apps on other desktops?

I tried Alt-Esc and i got a menu pop up top left corner, top option being “take screenshot” (I was in Brave browser when I did it.

Very confused, I really do like keyboard commands though rather than mouse (at least when using laptop anyway), but really don’t know enough to do that. I know alt-tab and super-left and right (which is cool!) but that’s about it. I need to find some kind of video tutorial on workspaces and see what it’s all about. I’m sure I’d love it and use it

1 Like

In this screenshot I have pointed out what a workspace is. When you press the Super key once, you will see these. You can move around in them and have applications in each. In the rectangle you can see I have 4 workspaces. Each one has a different application. I can move their order around by grabbing them reorienting their order, Or you can from any workspace move an application to a new one. This feature is more akin to a Mac, where you would scroll left/right to move around in your desktop FWIR. At the bottom of the screen are apps in a Dash menu. That’s for apps you use frequently and can Pin them there, currently open apps also show up there.

Double tapping Super will bring you to the Activities or Applications menu :

Here you see a much larger preview of the Workspaces in use, A Search Bar, My applications ( I have them organized in folders…) and the Dash menu at the bottom for Pinned apps.

Calling them “Desktops” or “Workspaces” is just an idiom. Gnome calls them Workspaces, and it’s fairly understandable. Think of it this way. . . My generation called the Computer Tower/Case “A Desktop Computer” While the “Desktop” itself also referenced as such. Troubleshooting in those days with Layman’s was sometimes difficult. . . Saying things like “On the desktop” or “Open the Desktop” and the like was very confusing. Maybe till this day.

Whe you are on a Browser, they have their own set of keyboard shortcuts. Obviously they do not command shortcuts that the Workspaces controls like anything starting with Super because those are specific to the movement of the Workspaces. So doing Alt + Esc in a browser would do Browser based actions. for Example in Firefox : it’s not bound for me, but Alt + 1 -9 would allow me to fly through my tabs in any order, amongst many Alt related shortcuts.

Here is a list of Brave browser shortcuts for you :

Well, You can start with the Gnome Settings menu, and reading through the list there. ( The screenshot from a previous post btw :+1:t5: ) Going through them and trying them out. Doing this for you reminded me my workflow was slightly broken, and allowed me to add several custom keybindings and found new ones useful.

As for Videos. . .

I could share my personal opinion on Linux Youtubers/Twitch streamers, but. . . I digress.

Here is a good view on some key points :

This video has some very good Key points, If you can get past the VTuber Presentation, it’s actually extremely informative.

1 Like

Also dont forget that Fedora has a ton of variants :smiley: you dont have to stick with GNOME, KDE Plasma is also there.

You can hack GNOME to be very traditional, with dash to dock/panel and more. Those extensions may break after updates though

Wow. Thank you.

Ok, in that case, I did know what Workspaces were :smiley: Me and my horrible Mac habits. Just as you said, I am used to it, i see them as Desktops but the name is irrelevant, useful function. I will definitely be making use of that. Browser, Signal, Email to name the first three!

Brave - THANKS! I see, I use CTRL-W to close tabs, adding SHIFT into the mix closes the whole window, which (oddly in my view, again probably a mac remnant) “quits” the app. At least I can do that now!

Alt-1 thru 9 - excellent! I wish I could make use of that, but with 20-30 open minimum, I have to use the mouse, although there may be a command to switch left or right, if so that would be handy.

Youtubers - you need not share, I doubt it would be any different to mine!!

Honestly not sure I can, at least not right now! Maybe tomorrow :smiley:
EDIT - I DID. Correct, I chewed a wasp through some of it but got some useful info from it

Thanks again, great info

PS - I was planning on duplicate the functionality of CTRL to ALT key, just for comfort (muscle memory from 10-15 yrs).
Now wondering if that7’s a bad idea as there are some commands using ALT (not sure I will use them though so I may give it a go)

Yeah, I get a lot of use out of it. I usually have many applications open. If you are like me and might have several Browsers Windows open You can Alt + ` or Alt+ Esc to switch between windows of the same applications. The later bringing one into focus, the fore switching between them. Also, creating a custom keybind for Workspaces 11-20 with Super+Alt+1 - 9 and 21 - 30 with Ctrl+Super+Alt+1-9 and other key binds, but Honestly would consider a more efficient workflow at that point. like the first example.

Alt-Escape - nice! handy in brave, thanks

Been reading your excellent post again, learning some of these shortcuts on an app-by-app basis. But I also heard of something called Keep In Dock (extension I think). I don’t want the ‘dock’ always displayed, like Mac, but I would like to move mouse pointer to bottom of screen to bring up the dock/pinned apps. I have read that ‘keep in dock’ can give me this function. Will try it, unless you know of it being unsafe/undesirable for other reasons?
thanks again, slowly improving my workflow!

PS I also wondered how to install stuff like this - Alphabetical App Grid - GNOME Shell Extensions - Is it ‘safe’ to hit the install button on that page? (Sorry if it’s a dumb question, I am trying to keep my installs to the Software app but couldn’t find it there)

1 Like

I’d be grateful if someone could explain how to duplicate the functionality of the left CTRL key to the left ALT key. I’m sure I managed to do this a year or two ago when I tried to set Fedora up on an old Macbook, but for the life of me I can’t remember how I did it.
I have Gnome Tweaks and Extensions installed, neither of which seem to offer that. Any thoughts appreciated.

Are you asking for a Compose Key ???

Gnome Extensions are pretty good if you need them, They do tend to break because of Gnome’s release cycle and changes to their functionality within releases. So you usually wait a week or two for things to shake out to get a good experience.

I’m not familiar with this workflow, sorry i tend to keep a minimal install of Gnome with only 2 extensions.

Though I will recommend, if you need Gnome Extensions, go ahead and get the :

I am inclined to say no, but I have no clue what a Compose key is/does!
what I want is to use the left alt key i place of left ctrl key. So instead of ctrl-w to close a browser tab, i can use alt-w instead. In the past I found a way to do this but can’t remember how. I just want to duplicate left ctrl key function to left alt key, so they both do the same, so i can do ctrl-w OR alt-w for the same operation

I already have Gnome Tweaks installed as well as “Extensions” (green icon in software app). So I THINK i already have an ‘extension manager’, maybe you could confirm or laugh at me please :smiley: