Proposal: move trust level to 2 (from 3!) for marking problems solved

A year ago, we moved trust level to 3 for marking problems solved.

Currently, we have 28 users at trust level 3 or higher, and 213 at trust level 2. (And, for the record, almost 2000 at trust level 1). TL2 requires visiting for at least 15 days, and spending at least a hour reading posts, and at least 100 posts. So people at this level have at least some understanding of how the site works and how we do things.

I notice still that quite a lot of posts that have solutions aren’t marked as such.

Should we…
  • Reduce the barrier and let more people mark solutions
  • Leave this as a responsibility and privilege for higher levels

0 voters

If you voted to leave it…
  • It’s fine; enough topics are being marked solved as it is
  • We should leave it, but we should do something to encourage users to mark solutions
  • We should leave it, but we should do something to encourage TL3+ users to mark solutions more aggressively

0 voters

1 Like

One bit of caution I would share here is that one thing I have seen on other Linux forums that have many TL3’s is that marking solutions can cause conflict between forum members where they fight over which post should be marked as the solution. I don’t see that as being a big issue with the TL3 members on this forum but if it is opened up to anyone who has been here for 15 days and read some posts we might start to see that behavior occurring more frequently.

It isn’t the end of the world either way, but it might result in more work for the moderators.

3 Likes

Does Discourse provide an override protection mechanism?

Such that when a post is marked as solution by a Level 2, only higher level can override it.

I don’t think it does.

1 Like

From my point of view, there is also to say that reaching TL3 on this forum is pretty hard. I can’t be precise, but how many people reached level 3 in these years? Less than ten?
Personally I don’t see any harm if someone want to mark a question as solved. At the same time I don’t think that TL2 people will start to fight to mark the best answer.

1 Like

Currently:

f602196c5361fc8221b93bbb859aa148813f3518.png

2 Likes