Powerprofile 'performance' is inhibited by 'lap-detected' if ThinkPad is tilted on a desktop-stand

fedora 34 Silverblue on a lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon, which resides on a desktop-stand, tilted by ~30 degrees: I would like to permanently switch to the ‘performance’ power profile while the ThinkPad is on the desktop-stand in a tilted position. But it switches back to ‘balanced’ after a while.

root@fedora:~# powerprofilesctl 
  performance:
    Driver:     platform_profile
    Inhibited:  yes (lap-detected)

* balanced:

power-saver:

I cannot change the power profile to ‘performance’ in Gnome settings. If I run the following command to switch to the ‘performance’ power profile,

root@fedora:~# echo performance > /sys/firmware/acpi/platform_profile

it is ignored at the 1st try. If I immediately re-run it a 2nd time, the profile is changed:

root@fedora:~# powerprofilesctl 
* performance:
    Inhibited:  yes (lap-detected)

balanced:

power-saver:

But when I check the current profile after a while (minutes), it has switched back to ‘balanced’.

I suspect, that the ‘lap-detected’ inhibitor might be accidentally triggered (by some acceleration sensors?) by having the ThinkPad in a tilted position on the desktop-stand: if I put it flat on the desktop surface, the ‘inhibited yes (lap-detected)’ changes to ‘no’ after a while (minutes). If I then put it back to the tilted position on the desktop-stand, the ‘inhibited’ immediately changes back to ‘yes (lap-detected)’ and the power profile switches back from ‘performance’ to ‘balanced’.

Any idea how I can avoid the accidential lap-detection and ‘inhibited yes (lap-detected)’ while the ThinkPad is on the desktop-stand in a tilted position?

best regards, Armin.

I think this is likely a bug that should be reported upstream to either GNOME settings or to the powerprofiles daemon.

Thanks for this advise. I opened a bug: Bug 2014261

(Btw. this is my 1st bug reported to fedora bugzilla. If you could have a look at it and advise on how to improve my bug report, that would be very welcome!)

Armin.

1 Like