Power profiles in Silverblue?

One of the new features of Fedora 34 and GNOME 40 is power profiles. It lets someone switch between performance, balanced, and battery saver profiles.

When it exists on the system, it’s shown in GNOME Settings and looks like this:

It’s packaged as power-profiles-daemon and seems to be in Workstation already (as I saw it on my non-Silverblue personal laptop over the weekend and don’t remember installing it), but isn’t in Silverblue.

Simply adding it via rpm-ostree install power-profiles-daemon seems to work fine. However, this is something that should be there by default.

@walters: Where’s the best place to report packages that should be in Silverblue but aren’t? (Or vice versa for that matter.)

I found Overview - workstation-ostree-config - Pagure.io (which seems like it might be the best place to file this), but can’t log in to Fedora today (I just get “OpenID request was cancelled” in Firefox and Chrome… and an infinite spinner in GNOME Web).

Is the mirror at GitHub - cgwalters/fedora-silverblue-config: Copy of https://pagure.io/workstation-ostree-config/ also appropriate?

1 Like

I think Fedora Silverbllue Issue Tracker (GitHub - fedora-silverblue/issue-tracker: Fedora Silverblue issue tracker) is good place to report issues like this. I was reported an issue about missing package in the past, and received a very fast help and support: (Cannot connect to a bluetooth audio device after upgrade · Issue #127 · fedora-silverblue/issue-tracker · GitHub)

Thanks!

Apparently, it got into Fedora 34 by mistake and is intended for Fedora 35.

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/gnome-control-center/c/21b72320a5b49e69dad6ba444583dacb0c2a5827?branch=f34

Meanwhile, I guess I’ll keep overlaying it, as it’s already useful. :wink:

I’m using something like this instead, just put it in a script:

echo performance | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu[0-9]*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

@ajan: Thanks, but that’s not quite the same thing.

The power profile mode changes more than just CPU scaling options and it exposes a user-facing UI to switch intents. The README explains how it’s different from the other power adjusting solutions (which all try to do more than just changing the CPU scaling):

This seems to be slated for Fedora 35, even though GNOME 40 adds support for it. For those who want it in Fedora 34 beta, where it works already, it requires installing the extra package power-profiles-daemon. So, on Silverblue, I guess we’ll just have to overlay it for the next half year if we want the functionality.