Plans for headless or minimal install

Was wondering if there would ever be plans for headless or minimal install of silverblue. I see discussion here but doesn’t look like there is a “golden path” method.

I’m searching for running silverblue on a server, but in this case I’d like to be able to move between F31, and future releases while layering in packages like ZFS and netdata. Essentially, it’d be nice to be able to run a minimal version of silverblue so that I can manage a non-clustered server instance (I get coreos is attempting to address some of this, but you cannot do things like LUKS, or ZFS easily, much less push for packages like netdata to be installable). Seems like silverblue as an idea could be incredibly impacting for this use case.

Hello @agd,
Wouldn’t that be CoreOS?

I am not aware of how to manage CoreOS with a custom set of packages you pull in from the fedora packaging side of things. In Silverblue I can compose an ostree from what they have created as the “silverblue desktop” and then layer in or locally install package (from either fedora itself, or from things like rpmfusion) to create a custom ostree for my workstation. I’m looking to do the same thing for the server, however I’d much rather be working with an ostree of fedora server than looking at CoreOS (maybe I want to run fedora server 31 for a while (for example ZFS on Linux only has builds for 30 and 31 right now)).

So maybe the better question is: How can I compose an rpm-ostree of the packages and configurations that are “Fedora 31 Server”? I’d love to use the silverblue style method of managing a server like this.

Again, this use case is for non clustered instances of servers. CoreOS has its place for people running a cluster… but say I want to run a ZFS fileserver at my house using rpm-ostree… I don’t know if I can do that right now. I’d have to choose CENTOS stream, or fedora server (but then I’m reinstalling at whatever interval both those distributions require rather than rebooting into a new ostree).

There also is Fedora IoT. It only has a stable branch though, so you will get 32 automatically.

Why would you have to reinstall Fedora Server or CentOS at certain intervals?

A lot of this use case revolves around ZFS. I don’t suspect, as its an external repository, that it will seamlessly upgrade (maybe stream addresses this). From that I assume that I’ll be installing each time a new release of the distro is made.

Looking at IoT, it looks like thats what I’m asking for. However, does IoT (ostree) support DKMS? This is how ZFS is packaged I believe.

A lot of this use case revolves around ZFS. I don’t suspect, as its an external repository, that it will seamlessly upgrade (maybe stream addresses this). From that I assume that I’ll be installing each time a new release of the distro is made.

You’ll have to ask someone with experience if a reinstall is actually safer but I would use only distro-versions that are 100% supported by the 3rd-party-repo and not something like CentOS Stream.

Looking at IoT, it looks like thats what I’m asking for. However, does IoT (ostree) support DKMS? This is how ZFS is packaged I believe.

I don’t think so.

As @heliopath mentioned above, there is Fedora IoT which will be an official edition I think when F32 is stable. Also, you could look at the Silverblue repo and modify or create a YAML configuration file for your specific setup desired. I don’t know the fine details of doing that and can’t at this point say the steps required.
Eventually, Fedora CoreOS will be the core of both Silverbue and IoT, their build method will be the same as far as I understand the direction. Others here may (and likely) have more info.
As for support of DKMS, if it works for you currently in Silverblue, it will work in Fedora IoT too.