Piling up issues again

We are already in the process of piling up again numerous unprocessed issues, now in GitLab instead of pagure – what a progress.

We need to find someone who will take on the task of going through these on a regular, ongoing basis and organize someone to take care of it. Just by chance, I just came across comments on our new overview pages, which are unfortunately older and still unprocessed.

Just curious. Is there a list anywhere of the type of help that the Fedora Docs team is looking for? For example, if a Fedora newcomer shows up, is there guidance or info on what they can do or how they can contribute? I know there are a lot of issues, but maybe we could document a role like “triager” that someone could help with? Perhaps this could also tie into organizing meeting agendas for the docs team.

Well, we have a (new) team page. I started the initiative a while ago to restructure and reformulate the pages. A large part is taken up by the chapter “Write contributions to Docs”. @hankuoffroad in particular has contributed a lot to expand and improve this part in specific. But it is still a lot of work to do. Maybe, you can contribute some of your ideas as a section in one of the texts, add to a text or create additional ones?

Unfortunately, the Docs pages are somewhat hidden under “Mindshare” and the text of this box is not very descriptive.

If it is only about labeling and close what is no longer valid, I could do that. But I am not sure what you mean with “organize someone” because the GitLab list is open and anyone can see what is in triage. So when it comes to the existing team, I do not see what to do since I expect the team to know what triage in gitlab means and that they are aware of that.

Do you mean to additionally post tickets to discourse or a mailing list to achieve casual contributions once a ticket relates to any of them?

If not already known, it might be added that there are two lists of open tasks that have to be done, and some tasks are explicitly marked as “good first issue” (which does not imply that newcomers are limited to “good first issues”):

Triage means that this issue has been already labelled and has been acknowledged by the team (no “desk reject” or such), but no one has been assigned yet (which usually means: no one has the time to pick it up at the moment). So triage is generally seeking assignees with knowledge of the area.

This gives some additional incentives of what tasks are currently to be done. This does of course not imply that contributions are limited to these tasks. There is much more valuable contribution possible beyond the explicit “to do” list, as indicated by the pages provided by pboy above.

In GitLab, how about using ‘assign health status’ in issue boards in addition to ticket flagged for the ‘meeting’?

We can set labels such as on track, needs attention, and at risk. In case I self-assign issues, I set due date to manage timeline and turn on notifications. As of today, there are 24 open issues.

In Pagure, I can see issue list. Recently, we have more eyes on Quick Docs. I guess that’s why many issues are back on track.

I mean keeping a bit more action, e.g. having a continuous eye on the list, and e.g. pick up the oldest item (or a long waiting item, easy to do) and bring it up on the meeting, probably with a proposal what to do.

1 Like

Since I cannot be at most meetings, I unfortunately cannot support with that. However, as the asynchronous communication seems to be not used, it might be worth to re-evaluate it. I mean, dedicating someone to organize self-organization might indicate that the current Docs have different needs than what we elaborated in the past. Just to ensure that it does not create more work than it solves. Maybe skim through the workflow page we elaborated and check what is neglected/ignored in the daily tasks, to identify where adjustments towards more efficiency make sense (to save time on the long term). Just a thought, I obviously have no deep insight at the moment.