Out of Curiosity: Which packages do you have layered?

For me it boils down to codecs and kvm-tools, as I’ve been unsuccessful to setup a container running libvirtd.

[root@hamlet ~]# rpm-ostree status
State: idle
Deployments:
● ostree://fedora:fedora/33/x86_64/silverblue
                   Version: 33.20210420.0 (2021-04-20T15:26:08Z)
                BaseCommit: f70b0dc933574591341398ee706564fbb8e5d444f8a96a47be3b65635e2d1807
              GPGSignature: Valid signature by 963A2BEB02009608FE67EA4249FD77499570FF31
           LayeredPackages: PackageKit-gstreamer-plugin gstreamer1-libav gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld gstreamer1-plugins-ugly lame libvirt virt-install
                            virt-manager
             LocalPackages: rpmfusion-nonfree-release-33-1.noarch rpmfusion-free-release-33-1.noarch

Just recently I moved all of my editor workings into toolbox. And thanks to qemu:///session I am able to do all cloud-init work from within toolbox.

Just out of curiosity, why docker instead of podman?

Podman because it runs everything in user space was messing up some of our containers. Using this machine as a PHP development environment with all the services for a local LAMP stack running in containers using a compose definition that is shared across multiple developers on different operating systems. So Docker was more consistent.

1 Like

Does this actually work/is useful though?

I’ve asked this question some time ago, because actually AFAIK abrt cannot collect flatpak crashes and report them etc., so it’s not really useful (it can only collect some crashes of local software):

I’ve managed to get it down to gnome-tweaks neovim tilix zsh. Don’t think I’ll replace any of these any time soon. If I start using vagrant again, I’ll need libvirt and a few more. I’ve also layered chromium just to install gnome extensions, which feels silly, but that’s the way it goes.

am surprised to see that you have layered packages, i thought you were only for flatpaks.

rpmfusion :astonished:

thanks for sharing. extremely informative :wink:

Are you trolling again ?

I prefer Flatpak for GUI applications if available. But not everything is GUI like Intel graphics, printer and FUSE drivers, fonts, wireguard and zfs. In which case layered packages and rpmfusion make total sense. Some GUI applications like GNOME simple-scan and virt manager are not available as Flatpak yet so it’s simply not an option. Sorry to ruin yet another one of your attempts to start a flatpak flame war

LayeredPackages: celluloid clamav clamtk epiphany ffmpeg ffmpegthumbnailer mediawriter samba thunderbird transmission

LocalPackages: rpmfusion-nonfree-release-34-1.noarch rpmfusion-free-release-34-1.noarch

reasons for not using flatpaks :

1. celluloid flatpak gave subtitle errors with various mkv & mp4 files. either no subtitles or subtitles out of sync.

2. clamav has no flatpak. clamtk flatpak will only scan files saved by the user & not the home folder or any other system folder.

3. epiphany flatpak freezes often & for various youtube videos there is no sound.

4. ffmpeg & ffmpegthumbnailer have no flatpaks.

5. mediawriter, why go the way flathub way for just one app.

6. samba has no flatpak.

7. thunderbird flatpak & transmission flatpak both have no audio alerts.

bottom line : flatpaks are not quite there yet. flatpaks are a Work In Progress.