No OS found on old IBM computer

Installation seemed to do fine with no problems. New to Fedora I have internet on the troubled system. I am trying to install Fedora LXDE.

1 Like

That old?

Is your PC compatible with x86_64? If not, there is no way you can get Fedora to boot since Fedora only offers a 64 bit kernel.

You may want to consider CentOS7 with lxde…

2 Likes

No it is a computer from IBM that was sold after they upgraded their in house computers. It has an intel pentium 4 processor

It had windows xp on it

No luck after recovery mode with a few attempts and several hours of browsing forums. @florian

From Wikipedia:

The first Pentium 4-branded processor to implement 64-bit was the Prescott (90 nm) (February 2004), but this feature was not enabled. Intel subsequently began selling 64-bit Pentium 4s using the “E0” revision of the Prescotts, being sold on the OEM market as the Pentium 4, model F. The E0 revision also adds eXecute Disable (XD) (Intel’s name for the NX bit) to Intel 64. Intel’s official launch of Intel 64 (under the name EM64T at that time) in mainstream desktop processors was the N0 stepping Prescott-2M.

Now, the question is, which CPU you have exactly? Find out if it is compatible to x64.

1 Like

it says the processor 0 id is 0F41 have not seen validating results on google from searching up "intel pentium 4 processor 0F41

It is 32 bit after putting a hard drive with windows xp on it I figured it out.
Do I have any hope for Fedora?

@florian thank you for all the input thus far :slight_smile:

32 bit hardware will not be able to run F32 or later, although I think it would work with older releases. As has already been said, you should try one of the distributions that still supports 32 bit hardware.

Unfortunately, Fedora only supports 64 bit processors. 32bit support is scarce these days but there are a couple distros that support it. I know Debian still offers 32 bit images, and a couple of their derivatives do too. I’m pretty sure MX Linux is one of them. Mageia Linux 7.1 is another RPM distro that supports 32 bit. I personally use it on a backup machine of mine and I have no complaints.

If you’re very skilled Gentoo can be compiled for 32 bit machines but it will take ages. If you’re not a patient person I don’t recommend going that route. If you truly get desperate there is Slackware, though that requires some skill and I highly recommend tracking the current branch with XFCE if you decide to use Slackware. It’s pretty old otherwise.

So, what is the problem?

1 Like

Fedora 25 is the last release that still provides i386 AKA x86 ISO image.
You can d/l and install it, but (correct me if I am wrong) the version of OpenSSL on it is only 1.0 and it does not support TLS 1.2 that is required by many today’s web sites, so you may not be able to watch Youtube or use Facebook and Twitter, etc, needless to say use your internet banking and other important services.
If you are fine with it, Fedora 25 32bit ISO image is the way to go for you.

A workaround for you, to get TLS 1.2, is to install VirtualBox and run a newer version of Fedora inside, but it will be very slow due to lack of hardware support for virtualization on your P4. You can forget about Youtube inside the VM, and many sites will also be very slow, due to heavy use of JavaScript.

HTH

Guys I am having a strange problem. So I went to install CentOs 7 and when I plugged it in the first time from a usb after hitting f12 at boot sequence the machine loaded into CentOs installation screen. I was installing the netinstall version and it was having problems installing from the net. I then put a minimal version of CentOs on the stick and this same computer with an i386 booted up Fedora 32 from the previous install attempts. It will not load CentOs on the USB. I finally got onto the terminal for the Fedora 32 server edition after having to change the root password because it would not work. Turns out after many attempts to get past the password and changing the password it would not change and after managing to get past the password terminal I am on the localhost login screen for Fedora 32 which should not have ran if the information here is correct.

My problem now is 1:) Should I continue with this OS if it is possible? 2:) If possible to install another OS how could I go about it from the localhost login page or a page thereafter or before? 3:) Where is my next step to a hopefully working OS? Thank everyone thus far for their assistance

@florian @hsljo please help me :heart:

also no password I have is working as well as fedora as the password?!?!?!?!

I reset the password and it would not accept it as I previously stated

it accepted a previous password which will not work on this Fedora 32 localhost login page