New article: Interview about VR on Linux

Hi there,
I am working on an interview with Jan Schmidt who is a Fedora users and also who works on reverse engineering a driver for the Oculus VR headset. Jan has been tweeting regularly about his effort here: https://twitter.com/thaytan

1 Like

Welcome to the conversation @uraeus
+1 from me. Given the recent discussion about gaming I would think this might be an interesting article to include in the Fedora Magazine.

Would this be a “How do you Fedora” article or is this an article about the driver? If it is about the driver, I would assume we would want to wait until he has a working product (that is FOSS and works on the latest releases of Fedora Linux) before publishing anything. I’m a little worried about the “reverse engineering” angle. Would that cause problems from a legal perspective? @bcotton

The angle is about a developer working on some cool tech and using Fedora to do so. So it is not a howto article or anything like that, just meant to give people more insight into what is happening around VR on Linux and how a developers has chosen Fedora as his platform for working on this.

Ah. That sounds like a “How do you Fedora” article then.

+1

@haripriya21 Can you work with Christian to get this article published?

Thanks.

Yeah sure.
I have a quick question…do I need to help Christian with all the interview questions or shall I write the article for Jan all by myself??

Personally I prefer to have others do most of the work whenever possible. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not convinced this is actually a “How do you Fedora?” blog post. It sounds similar to https://fedoramagazine.org/automatically-light-up-a-sign-when-your-webcam-is-in-use/ in that it is using fedora on a specific piece of tech. Or like the astro-photography labs series. I think it should be handled by @uraeus as he wants.

I got most of the interview done already, so I will copy and paste it into Wordpress today. What I would love help with though is editing as both a dyslectic and a non-native English speaker that is always a great help to me.

Sure no problem. Editing is what we (@glb & @rlengland ) do.

I guess I’ll have to see it to understand what it is. If it needs some heavy editing to conform to standard US English grammar, I can do that.